The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

allow users to only create blogs from the 'root' blog (6 posts)

1. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

2.8.4a

Here is what I am trying to do, but can't find the information.

My primary blog 'root blog' is a blog designed to draw users in to create their own blogs.

What I want:
    When a user registers under a 'subdomain' blog I want them registered to that site as well as the 'root' blog site. (They should never see the 'root' blog however, all registration happens through 'subdomain' blog)

When a user registers under a 'root' blog they can also create a blog.

When a user registers under a 'subdomain' blog they cannot create a blog. (they're registering for a blog, they should not even know that the 'root' blog exists).

Is this currently possible with wpmu?

example:
    root blog is real estate blogging service, allow people to create their own real estate blogs.

so a user comes and creates their blog site. They want people to be able to register on their site, but the customer should never know that they are part of the wpmu network. So if during registration they are offered a blog, that makes no sense.

2. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

bumping it up..

I have searched for days now with no solution.

Is it just not possible to have the registration system stay on the same subdomain mu blog as the person is visiting?

I 'thought' mu was capable of allowing each subdomain blog to have their own users... am I just wrong on this?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, each blog can have their own users - but they currently have to register on the main site.

There have been plugins out there to add a user just to the blog in question, but I can't remember if they're working with the latest version.

4. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Andrea Thank you, you were exactly right but I got a surprise for ya........
    Andrew has agreed to create a plugin for exactly this concept, only extending it further to allow the individual blog to turn on/off the ability for users to register on their blog. (I didn't even think about that idea) I should have it pretty soon :)

I suspect this will become a very popular plugin and being built by Andrew we know it'll function perfectly. I'd expect to see it on premium dev site very soon.

Today is a good day indeed!

5. n2rga
    Posted 13 years ago #

Any news on the new plug in?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by anointed
  • Latest reply from andrea_r