The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Fatal Error - Database Tables Missing (8 posts)

1. profeddieb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Installing 2.84a for the first time on my Mac.

Installed on apache, with PHP Version 5.2.8, and MySQL - 5.0.22.

I have multiple single wordpress installations on this server. All work fine.

The issue. After configuring the config.php - and go to the rot of the MU installation - get the following error:

Fatal Error

If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.

MySQL is runningand is error free, as all my other installation are working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

profeddieb

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are the WP installs sitting in the same server root as WPMU?

3. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay -- are you running MyPHPAdmin? If you are the problem is that it is not in-sync with the real MySQL database...

Step 1) Try reloading privileges via MyPHPAdmin (I hate that thing by the way, CLI is the only way to go)

Step 2) If that doesn't seem to work then, (I am using Microsoft Server so if you are on Linux check the commands on the web) go to a command prompt and type the following: C:\ NET STOP Mysql <some verbiage will follow>

Step 3) after waiting a few minutes to allow that MyPHPAdmin thing to realize the REAL Database server is down and halts itself (You will see an error in MyPHPAdmin that it cannot connect to the server); Type the following: C:\NET START MySQL < some verbiage will follow stating that the service has restarted)

Step 4) Go back to your MyPHPAdmin and RELOAD PRIVILEGES again from the front panel. Chek the databases, and user privileges to see if they have been updated

If you are not using MyPHPAdmin then from the command prompt in the \bin directory of your MySQL install, you will need to type C:\MySQL\bin\mysqladmin reload (of course that command varies from installation to installation) but you may have to use the daemon command which is in the same directory which will be \mysqld and then reload that way...

Been There Done That -- Good Luck!!!

My saying is, if it can't be done from the command prompt then, what good is it :?)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also, make sure the db user has ALL permissions on the db.

5. profeddieb
    Posted 14 years ago #

First of all, thanks so much for the replies! Really appreciate it.

Still having a few issues.

To answer a few questions above.

1) All of the WP installs are running in directories off the root. The same for the WPMU (ie: /wordpressmu/)
    2) I am on a mac. And running phpmyadmin. And yes - not the best tool - but it works. I did reload the prevledges . . . . did not work. Going to restart the server and see where that gets me today.
    3) And since this is just my laptop . . . and use it for development and POCs, I run the instance on ROOT (would never do that in real world)
    4) Finally, it does not seem that the install is running at all. It is just producing the error. Looking for tables that are not there.

I still find this odd - since I have 12 other WP sites on my server - and they are all running smoothly.

Anyway . . . . . again - thanks for all the comments - it is really appreciated.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

phpmyadmin will not stop WPMU from creating the tables.

You have other WP installs running on the same server. Are they in a different domain/virtual server to the WPMU install or are you really running them all off the same place? WPMU and WP don't play very well together and WPMU really does like being in the root directory on the server/domain

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can't believe no one caught this yet...

"After configuring the config.php - and go to the rot of the MU installation - get the following error:"

Don't configure the wp-config.php. It says not to right at the top. But because MU is in a subfolder with other WP install, it will travel up and find the other config file and tell you to edit it - but don't. :)

A simple hack will stop the check.
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

8. profeddieb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea, That was the trick. Thank you very much.
    Thanks again to all who responded.

profeddieb

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by profeddieb
  • Latest reply from profeddieb