The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A quite intricate installation... (3 posts)

1. alkarlosse
    Posted 14 years ago #

So here is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a domain name registered with GoDaddy and Google Apps running on it. And I have a hosting account with CPanel on another domain.

Let's say the domain is mydomain.tld and the host is on sub.otherdomain.tld. Also assume that Wordpress MU is installed in the directory ~/public_html/wpmu/.

What I want to achieve, is have Wordpress MU blogs accessible through blogs.mydomain.tld/blog_name without the ugliness of forwarding.

I tried different things, each one ending up with different errors.

The closer to the solution I could guess was trying to map blogs.mydomain.tld to a subdomain on the host pointing to the Wordpress MU folder, using an add-on domain on CPanel.

I believe the problem here lies somehow in the initial installation of WPMU where I declared that WPMU is on blogs.mydomain.tld. I got a 500.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me with this!

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Create an add on domain on your cpanel account for blogs.mydomain.tld

Point the CNAME of your blogs.mydomain.tld to the cpanel host.

Put WPMU in the public_html/blogs directory that was created by cpanel

Set it up as a sub-directory install

Done.

3. alkarlosse
    Posted 14 years ago #

In fact this was one of the things that I tried before, and I did it once again now, fresh new settings.

Add-on domain: blogs.sub.otherdomain.tld for blogs.mydomain.tld
    WPMU folder: public_html/blogs
    CNAME: blogs.mydomain.tld to sub.otherdomain.tld

When I access blogs.sub.otherdomain.tld I get the installation page just fine, however, if I try blogs.mydomain.tld it gets me on the main page (and not the subdomain folder!) and trying to access blogs.domain.tld/blogs gives a 404.

Clues?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by alkarlosse
  • Latest reply from alkarlosse