The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

is this amount of ram enough for wordpress mu (7 posts)

1. daglawy2
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi there,
    i asked my hosting (justhost.com) about the amount of ram allocated to my account
    and they told me that ...

"We do limit total RAM usage by 10% of average server RAM usage, but single script is limited for php script only, the limit is 64Mb per instance"

is this amount is good enough ??
    especially because i will use many plugins
    like : wp-o-matic, wp-calais-archive-tagger, google-sitemap-generator.3.1.2, wp-greet-box.5.3.2, sitemap-for-wpmuwordpress-mu.1.1.2
    and so many other plugins

and i will have about 1000 blog

and what do you think generally about this hosting company ??

thanks in advace,

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nowhere near enough.

You want to run a thousand blogs on a shared host with 64Mb of ram? Not gonna happen.

Get a VPS. Get 512Megs of RAM to start - and that's if your 1000 blogs aren't used much.

3. daglawy2
    Posted 14 years ago #

so how many blogs do you think this amount of ram can handle ??

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

On that amount of ram, you could still have tons of blogs as long as only one person visited.

It's not the number of blogs, it's about how many people are visiting the site.

Like I said above, you asked if those specs were good enough, and I said no, they weren't.

If you just wanted to play around and test MU, sure - knock yourself out. If you wanted to run a serious site, pony up the cash for a better host.

5. daglawy2
    Posted 14 years ago #

of course thank you very much for your reply,
    the matter is that this is my very first business on the internet
    i am little worried and confused

but i got the idea,
    i think i will go for shared hosting first, if the site goes well and the number of visitors start to make a problem
    then i will convert to vps hosting

am i thinking right now ???

thanks again ...

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

the limit is 64Mb per instance not sure if thsi means 64Mb for this client rather than 64Mb for one php script? in which case its would be enough?

the point is, one visitor needs at least one connection to your server. so one connection (on my server i.e. uses 25MB) if I now have 100 visitors at the same time, I'd need 2500GB of RAM if my pages were slow generating with i.e. 1 sec per page generation time.

hope that clarifies things a bit more

7. johnyc
    Posted 14 years ago #

WordpressMU on shared hosting is definetly not recommended. Maybe a small size WPMU can tolerate it in shared hosting but for 1000 blogs it's too much. Morever, your no. of pluggins will load server & thus would need higher RAM.
    Would suggest you to Go for dedicated hosting. with min. 512 RAM

About this Topic