The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using YARPP with WPMU - Multiple Blogs (9 posts)

1. ljmyers
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am using the YARPP with a very recent download of wpmu. The plugin works great and helps not only point out various links to your users but helps a little with seo as well.

What I am wondering is if YARPP is supposed to pick related posts from the various blogs created by the users on the same wpmu site and show them on the main blog or all blogs for that matter? If not, no biggy but it would be great if so.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I doubt it. It looks like it's built for WP - so it's not "site" aware. Though you could probably combine it with the sitewide tags plugin and do a little "switch_to_blog" before the yarrp stuff and then you'd get what you're after. Maybe.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's definitely only blog-specific, not sitewide.

If it was, it would say so. (also, I just used it today)

I don;t think there;s any sitewide related posts out there (yet).

4. mitchoyoshitaka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all—

I've never used YARPP myself on a MU install and don't know enough about MU so I'm not even sure what the behavior would be. :)

As MU users, could you tell me what you think the MU behavior should be? Or do you think different users would want different things, so would some setting be necessary? I'd love to get your thoughts!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

When people use MU, they expect some plugin features to be sitewide. In this case, many people have been expected the Related Posts area to show related posts from other blogs on the system.

6. takuya
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you are creating new features for Mu, please keep both options. Some ppl want sitewide as said, but I just like how it works now. :)

7. mitchoyoshitaka
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea_r @takyua hmm... I actually don't know why it would be working not site-wide now... I guess I'll have to get a MU install up and running and test it.

8. newhollandbrew
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am knee deep in a site redesign which hopes to use a YARPP like plugin between blogs on a WPMU install. Here's my scenario.

New Holland Brewing Company has multiple sections to our web site (EX: Beer / Spirits / Pub / Store). We have multiple admins for each section. We also have multiple social networks which will be fed by the different blogs.

My example of needing YARPP is this:

- Mad Hatter India Pale Ale has a beer profile in the /beer blog.
    - Mad Hatter also has t-shirts, stickers, posters etc in the /merch blog (which will later be using WPeCommerce to run the store)
    - Mad Hatter is also being used in recipes on the /pub/menus and /pub/menus/recipes section

I would like a WPMU Related Posts plugin to allow each of the blogs to show the tagged items between each. i.e. the Mad Hatter t-shirt would show related posts in the beer and pub sections, and the beer profile would link to the t-shirt and the menus and recipes.

I would like this to function based on a vocabulary of Tags which will be used consistently throughout all of the blogs inside the MU instance.

You can see my *raw* work in progress at http://nhbcsandbox.com

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by ljmyers
  • Latest reply from andrea_r