The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Typical install time? (6 posts)

1. stevemagruder
    Posted 14 years ago #

Does anyone know the typical install time for MU, especially in comparison to the standard WordPress? I'm trying to estimate this for a client.

Thanks!

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um, I just did an install and it took all of 2 minutes. This was on semi-shared hosting via cpanel, and includes the time needed to create the database.

Now, if you're talking customizations, that's a whole 'nother story.

3. stevemagruder
    Posted 14 years ago #

When I say installation, I mean not just the initial install, but also the customization. Is that dramatically different from customizing standard WordPress? I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this.

4. batrachoid
    Posted 14 years ago #

It depends, of course.

Are you talking just CSS?

I would just use your experience with wordpress as a guide and be clear that it is just an estimate.

5. stevemagruder
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just mean -- Is there any additional customization considerations, over standard WordPress? Anything extra?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Customization of what, exactly? Purely adding a few plugins to the main blog and tweaking the theme?

If the cleint is expecting to be able to use some sitewide features, then you need to account for those as well.

For example, with no theme tweaks and tossing in a few standard WPMU-specific plugins that I use a lot, plus a few themes and double-checking everything to make sure it all runs smoothly, we're talking an hour.

The 2 minutes to just install it is typical ;P The customizations is the kicker. You could spend 20-40 hours if it's a big job.

If you've never used MU before, then it's going to take significantly more time than if you had set up WP. There's the whole aspects of sitewide anything to consider.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by stevemagruder
  • Latest reply from andrea_r