The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to Delete Unused Blogs After X amount of Days (12 posts)

1. voodoolove1
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've seem some WPMU sign-up pages say something on the order of "if you don't post with 7 days your blog will be automatically deleted."

I find that many times people will sign up for blogs but then never post to it so it's just basically clutter on my server.

So how are folks doing this auto-deletion? I can't imagine that they're doing it by hand. Is there some sort of a mysql command that could do this? I assume that this would be the best way.

I don't really know anything about mysql but I have cut and pasted a command into phpmyadmin here and there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

The easiest way I can think of is to click on the "last updated" column to sort it in the site admin and manually delete the ones that have never been updated.

You could also query the wp_blogs table using SQL and then call the http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/wpmu-edit.php?action=deleteblog&id=14 command with blog IDs that match your query, but that would be too risky for my liking! :)

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I thought there was a plugin that did this? I don't see it right off though.

4. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

There was discussion about this before. You need a cron job that runs a file that would automactically delete unuse blogs.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Our set-up says 30 days and yeah, we do it manually with a visual verification. (ie; we literally look at the blog itself, not just through the admin panel, to verify that it is, indeed, unused.)

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow andrea, tedious work there. Admire your commitment. :)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I'd rather not nuke someone by accident. It's made a little easier in Firefox, just opening up a blog from the admin panel in a new tab.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found the thread that mentions the cron job. Maybe we can get Andrea to copy and paste her cron for us to steal, um, I mean borrow. :)

9. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I logged an feature request - please second it if you agree (any additional features appreciated)!

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1581&replies=1#post-8907

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, you log feature requests over on the trac.

11. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm.. oki.. but the forums says features and requests!!! I'll do it tomorrow!! Thanks!!

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed but that's the best method in addition of posting about them here. This is more for discussion when it comes to features.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by voodoolove1
  • Latest reply from drmike