The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

bbPress + wpmu + subdomains (6 posts)

1. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, before anybody kills me over posting yet another integration thread;

Showing 1–10 of 993 hits from wordpress.org and related

(What's wierd is every additional page states substantially less hits, down into the 700's, but that's a story for another day).

I found this thread where lunabyte seems to have the exact same problem, but no solution was ever posted: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/2166?replies=35

I'm setting up WPMU with bbPress, and would like bbPress to be accessible via forums.domain.tld, instead of a subdirectory. I've got every other aspect of the integration working just fine, but as soon as I try to drop wp-config into bbpress, it 302 redirects me back to the main wpmu blog.

I've tried it set up as an Apache virtual host, and using rewrite rules, but with either set up µ takes over and tells me I can sign up for a blog at that address, but refuses to serve me my forums at that address.

This is frustrating as I would prefer the forums be at a subdomain, then usurp the directory from every other blog on the server, and there are too many functions I need from Wordpress to rewrite them all for bbPress.

Has anybody got it figured? I've scoured these forums, their forums and google with no luck. I've tried every combination of virtual host directive and mod_rewrite rule I could muster up, and to no avail, µ just wants responsibility for that subdomain more than bbpress does.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I've tried it set up as an Apache virtual host, and using rewrite rules, but with either set up µ takes over and tells me I can sign up for a blog at that address, but refuses to serve me my forums at that address"

Is the subdomain further up in the Apache files than the WPMU account? I mean, before the WPMU install info.

3. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, it's all set up correctly on the server side. It works too, right up to the point of loading Wordpress. Once wp-config.php is called from bb-config.php, µ takes over and 302 redirects me to the signup form (since 'forums' isn't an active blog).

Something in the process of Wordpress initializing is taking over despite the fact that the virtualhost should have priority. I need to figure out what it is and override it on the bbpress site. :)

4. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

*bump*

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

And "forums" is in the banned blog name list?
    (just thinking it thru and going down the list)

6. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

I didn't think of trying that, but still a no go. :(

My next attempt was to define DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE from bb-config.php and add an if !defined to the wp-config.php -- it half worked. Now I get the signup page served to me from forums.domain.tld instead of from domain.tld. Hmmmm... I'm stepping through the load process one line at a time to try and narrow down my search, and I just discovered the .maintenance feature. Snazzy. Too bad it didn't help though.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by delayedinsanity
  • Latest reply from delayedinsanity