The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Styling WP-Signup Message (17 posts)

1. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Wondering if anyone has a nice example of some basic styling for the confirmation message displayed to new signups in WPMU? I don't believe the .widecolumn class has anything additional applied here and the result is a message that appears a bit messy. :)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's styled for Kubrick, so I normally add the .widecolumn to the theme I'm using on the main blog. :)

3. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

I have the .widecolumn added to my theme as well and made adjustments there to fit my lefthand column (thanks for your post on this btw).

However, I'm talking about the actual message that gets displayed as seen below when someone signs up for a user account (plus the corresponding message displayed after you've activated your account):

"tester1 is your new username
    But, before you can start using your new username, you must activate it.
    Check your inbox at tester1@email.com and click the link given.
    If you do not activate your username within two days, you will have to sign up again."

In any theme I've used this message comes back with no padding and crammed up in the top left corner while the text is in about 8pt font. I was just wondering if anyone had styled this and had a sample.

Thx

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Man, you just reminded me I forgot to do this on my site when I changed themes...

Got firebug?

5. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes I do...

6. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

You have to add the styles to a function and hook wp_head with a priority of 99. Otherwise, the styles in wp-signup.php override your css.

7. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

Anything to add to wpmuguru? 8)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not yet... I'm on his good side today. ;P

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh hey, we wrote a little plugin that may help.
    http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/style-your-signup-page/

This way, you can edit the plugin (if needed) instead of the theme. :D Give it a spin?

10. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nice! I've raised this issue a few times here but I guess no one saw it as a big issue. I think styling a welcome message to new users is a very big issue because first impressions mean everything. :)

I'll report back...

11. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

Did you style the message indicating your new account, etc. as described above because it hasn't changed on my install (P2 theme, mu-plugins). Or, am I to style it from the default (thinking I now know the answer).

I tried an existing email and got a nice error message though. :)

12. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Looking specifically to style the confirmation message:

<h2>"tester1 is your new username</h2>
    <p>But, before you can start using your new username, you must activate it.</p>

Changing "line-height" is working for me, but .widecolumn .entry p { font-size: 1.05em;} is having no effect for me unless I'm missing something.

13. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

For me .widecolumn p { font-size: 1.05em;} works fine on the primary signup message, but after you've activated your account the resulting message is not affected. I guess it's a matter of figuring out the other classes affecting those messages.

Thanks to you both for working on this!

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

yeah, some of that is nested deep. Might have to stick a !important on it.

15. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

The CSS added to the plugin doesn't get added to the activation page (wp-activate.php).

Copy the last add_action line and change the 'signup_header' to 'activate_header'.

16. scotm
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think we got it, Ron.

17. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sweet. I'll have to remember to add that to the plugin.

About this Topic