The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Importing SQL WP backup to WP mu blog (10 posts)

1. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a 2,6 MB Wordpress .sql database backup of an old blog I used to own (backup is one year old), now I tried importing this sql backup through phpMyadmin to the wp_posts database of a subdomain Wordpress MU blog that already has some blogposts on it. Everytime I upload the sql file it says that the import was succesfull, but when I go back to my blog I don't see the posts on the blog and I need to reset my admin password and all posts have switched to the author name of my old blog... Database prefix is wp_ on my new site and wp_ in my old database backup. Also, all my users seem to have disappeared...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for your help andrea, but I don't really understand how the info from that link can help me?...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Crap, wrong link. :D Sorry!

http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

There ya go, this one explains it.

5. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the link. I did what the post said; replace wp_ with wp_16_.

Because the SQL file was 2,6 MB, it was too big to do all in once so I cut the file in two and imported it in two parts. Then I checked my site and saw that it doesn't work anymore. I saw the contents of the old single Wordpress install blog in phpMyadmin but my site was broken so I imported the backup of my Wordpress MU blog to get my site back up. So how do I get the content of my old single install Wordpress blog on my Wordpress MU site without losing the content that's already on that Wordpress Mu blog?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If there's content already in the MU blog, and you're trying to stuff a single WP blog in it via SQL, you'd have to re-number some post ID's.

Put a singel WP install somewhere and dump your db in that. Go to the backend and Export. Then just login to the backend of the MU blog and Import. Way easier, if all you're trying to get is the posts.

7. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

Alright awesome, I made a wp single install somewhere and exported it to an XML file as you told me to do, thanks!

Only problem now is that my site's layout is looking weird after the import: http://nl.vgfan.net

Also, the content of my old SQL file hasn't been online for one year but has been on another domain, do you think this will affect my site's SEO or could get me banned for dup content?

8. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

Edit: Layout is ok now, I unfortunately forgot to remove the [tag][/tag[ thingies in the XML that I imported, no biggie though.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"do you think this will affect my site's SEO or could get me banned for dup content? "

No not really.... was it still appearing in google? If it's been offline for a year, I can't imagine google is still finding it.

10. YoUnGLinKiE
    Posted 14 years ago #

Alright, thanks for your help andrea! :)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by YoUnGLinKiE
  • Latest reply from YoUnGLinKiE