The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Main blog is broken :( (13 posts)

1. ciaravino
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just updated 3 plugins, BuddyPress, WP Security Scan, and either All in One SEO Pack, or the Google XML Sitemaps.

Right before upgrading those, I received an email that someone posted a comment that needed to be approved first, it was a spammer of course. I didn't go to any links or anything. I'm 99% sure the spammer had nothing to do with it. But, when I went in to delete it, I noticed that some plugins could be upgraded. Before upgrading, the site was working fine, but right after upgrading the plugins, I tried going back to the main blog and it is just a blank page now. But, the other blogs work?

ciaravinodesign.com is the main blog. A sub blog is dev.ciaravinodesign.com

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

A blank screen means php error - so what is in your php error log?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I just updated 3 plugins, BuddyPress, "

The newer version of BuddyPress involves moving some files around, so likely an auto-upgrade messed things up.

But as Steve said, check those logs.

4. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yup and the other obvious question is what flavor server are you using...

As I just found out and about two weeks ago FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY, bb-press DOES NOT support url rewrites on IIS 7 (wish he stated that upfront) that install tore up my java-bridge, php, and a plethora of other items within the core IIS server... fortunately enough, I was just getting started and got so frustrated reinstalling java, php, server(s), etc. I finally gave up and reimaged my server (by the way I don't use Plesk, c-Panel, nor MyPHPAdmin)

Good luck with that one--- I use bb-press now but it is not linked to MU (I don't even know that bb-press can link-up to MU)

I also learned a valuable lesson regarding DNS settings, A records and the like, regarding work-a-rounds for installing MU. I do not have any web core applications running on my system drive, nor do I run MU, bb-press within the route of the web daemon (inetpub) nor my own web site for that matter... They all are folders in the route directory of my "d" drive and are virtually attached to the core which is also on my "d" drive...

5. ciaravino
    Posted 14 years ago #

How do I check the PHP logs?

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

you look at whatever file is specified in your php.ini file. You might need to enable error logging and enable logging to file (and then remember to restart apache to pick up the changes)

7. ciaravino
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have my site hosted with a hosting company, hostgator.com

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

They'll be able to tell you where the error logs are.

Got cPanel? There's a big ol' icon there for them.

9. ciaravino
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I have cPanel. I was going to the "Error Log", it doesn't say it's PHP though. But, nothing is there, I tried refreshing my site and then refreshing the error log but nothing showed up.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So.... did you check over the new buddypress instructions and straighten that out?

11. ciaravino
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, I've been reading the new instructions and everything. I came to the conclusion that MU and BuddyPress aren't worth it to me. I started using them because they were interesting and stuff, but I have absolutely no need for them. So, I'm going to go back to normal WordPress.

What would be the safest way to revert everything to WordPress? Like, images, etc.

12. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

The typical recommendation is to log into your wpmu blog and export it, then uninstall wpmu, install wordpress, and import. But if you can't log in, I'm at a loss.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Given people have "accidentally" upgraded with the single wordpress code, I'd be inclined to overwrite the MU files with single WP. then go in, grab my stuff, back up wp-content and do a fresh install.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by ciaravino
  • Latest reply from andrea_r