The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Enable 3 letter user name and deleting admin user from blog (6 posts)

1. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

two quick questions, I searched and googled but to no answers:

• how can I enable allowing a 3 letter user name for wpmu?

Or, if it is some security features, allow it only for myself?

I have tried hacking my way across phpmyadmin to do it but I appear to be missing something unless there is a simple command to do so.

• How to deleting the admin user from a blog.

I manually made a bog for a user, I want to remove the admin user from being the #1 administrator user. Is it possible?

Thanks.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

1. If you go to site admin -> users and create a user, you can create one with a 3 letter username. (I just created a "joe" user to be sure.)

2. Go to site admin -> blogs. Find the blog you want to tinker with. Click "edit." Find the section where it lists users. Add a user as a blog administrator. Log out as site admin. Log in as new blog administrator. Delete site admin from blog. (You can't delete yourself from a blog.)

3. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks ... I was looking not to make a 3 letter user but a 3 letter blog name, eg web.example.com.

I see that I can do it via Site Admin, and then add the same name as a user, as you wrote, but new users cannot do so via the web interface. It asks for 4 characters.

I was wondering how I could allow new users to do so, or at least understand why the limitation to 4 characters was set? (I suspect it is a simple hack in the code somewhere, '4' to '3').

Thanks for the clarification of not being able to delete yourself from a blog. Also a strange rigidity to me, eg ... self-deletion could be allowed leading to an automatic logging out.

As is, one has to make a new admin user, log in as it, delete original admin user, log out, log in as original admin, delete second admin user.

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's in wpmu-functions.php, on line 980. The hacking (bad) way to do it would be to just change it there. The good way to do it would be to use this filter:

wpmu_validate_blog_signup

to modify the error object and remove the error you don't want. Read about how to write a plugin that uses filters here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API

5. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you ... I'll go do my homework.

Just as an aside, any idea why the 4 letter rule was adopted?

Appreciated.

6. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure why it was adopted. I know that there was a big thread recently about IE having issues dealing with 2 letter domain names. It could be a leftover from before they implemented the list of disallowed names. But, that's just totally a guess.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nonegiven
  • Latest reply from DeannaS