The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

File upload security settings aren't allowing Word docs! (10 posts)

1. ahoppe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello All,

I recently set up Wordpress Mu and I'm running into a little problem. None of my users seem to be able to upload Word documents (.doc). I believe the problem lies within the MIME type of the files. For whatever reason, our Word documents are seen as "application/octet-stream". We use Office 2004 for Mac, if that makes a difference.

When a user tries to upload a Word doc, they get the error message:
    "File type does not meet security guidelines. Try another."

I tried adding "'doc|docx' => 'application/octet-stream'," to wp-includes/function.php, but that didn't seem to help.

I, as a site administrator, have no trouble uploading Word documents.

We are running Wordpress Mu on a PPC Debian 5 box with Apache 2.2.9.

I'm not sure if it's a Wordpress or webserver setting that I need to adjust to fix this. Any ideas on how to work around this issue?

Thanks!!

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

In your Site Admin -> Options page, you'll find a field for where you can indicate allowed file types. You should enter these separate by a space.

So you'd add to that field doc docx to allow all Word files. You don't need to delve into any code to allow file types.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Go to Site Admin -> Options, look for "Upload File Types". Put in doc and docx there. Try again.

4. ahoppe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Gah! I looked and I can't believe I missed that. Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going to try to not be a n00b any more! lol

5. equalmark
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am having similar issues with users uploading PSD files using the media uploader. I have added this in the list like Andrea_r suggests. The strange thing is, is that I (admin) can upload PSDs no problem but another user (set as a site admin) can't upload and they get the following error:

File type does not meet security guidelines. Try another.

Anybody any ideas of what I can try to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

6. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you putting just "PSD" in there or ".psd"? Try it with the period.

7. equalmark
    Posted 14 years ago #

It is just in the "Upload File Types" as 'psd' without the dot. All the others in that list are the same.

8. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try this plugin and the related mime types for PSD files.

I discovered that there are undocumented file types that WordPress will not upload. I had issues with F4V files until using that plugin I linked.

9. equalmark
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for that and I will give it ago, although I am not convinced as like I say I can upload PSD's although another admin can't. Will get back with the results soon.

10. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

The problem is site admins aren't under the same restrictions other users are. Blog admins are treated the same as other users; site admins are treated as true super users. Is your second account a site admin or just a blog admin (i.e. is their username in the Site Admins field under Site Admin -> Options)?

Hope this helps.

Tim

About this Topic