The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Automatic 'create user' equals 'create email account' script? (8 posts)

1. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had tried or managed to write a script or a plugin that automatically created an email account for the user at the same time as they created a user blog?

Obviously, I see the potential security/abuse issues with this would only make sense at a certainly group level. A simple redirect to their given email address would probably be enough, e.g.:

'blog.example.com' creates 'blog@example.com'

Another semi-automated option might be a plugin that did so on appointment of a user to a certain group or group level, e.g. signing up for a "premium service".

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes but any plugin would have to written for the specific OS and hosting platform being used. They're all different and no one solution is possible.

For example, the script name to create a new emailbox on CPanel of a *NIX box is different from the script name for CPanel on a *BSD box. And then DirectAdmin have different names for their scripts.

3. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Naturally it would require setting up. I wondered if it would be possible to have a simple forwarder even, e.g.

Any mails to 'blog@example.com' being forwarded to whatever email the user registered with.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Naturally it would require setting up.

If you feel you understand what it would take, please feel free to write the software. It's the same problem with Donncha's domain mapping program. Different servers and OSes require different commands and those commands are in different places.

It's a little more that "setting up."

The forwarding would be a better route come to think of it. That would probably be doable. Again though different email servers require different scripts and procedures. I run Exim on my boxes. Other folks run Sendmail. Also not all hosts would allow access to the filters that this would require. (Although many platforms do allow access.)

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Of course if you implement a forwarder and email addresses escape and they end up on spam lists then your server will end up forwarding spam which is not really what you want to do as you'll get black listed.

6. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

It makes me wonder if it would be better/easier to work from the mail transfer agent end and have users sign up and be given a blog from there writing directly to the database ...

7. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

This might be a silly question but what would you actually use it for?

8. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Community building.

"Special offer, join this blog community, get a free email address".

In our case, we have an attractive, short domain name specific to the target community.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nonegiven
  • Latest reply from nonegiven