The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What plugins do you add in? (44 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just curious to know what plugins everybody adds into their install as I sit here and add in the WP-Extreme Video plugin I hacked a while back to allow YouTube downloads.

2. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

Widgets, list-all, subscribe to comments, gravatar & brian's latest comments at the moment. Still pondering about the best choice for anti-spam, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Strange you should mention the gravatar as heck a heck of a time getting that to work on my normal blog. (Hated the way that it looked in the themes that I used.)

I finally went with the Comvatars which handles both the gravatar and the Favatars and seems to handle the placement of the icons in the comments better. (It does it itself instead of me trying to get things to line up.)

Forgot my list: Widgets, WP-ExtremeVideo, and SlimStat so far.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike, did you release the hacked code somewhere? And thanks for the heads on on gravatars/comvatars. (it was on my to-do list)

As for plugins:
    lisat all
    wpmufeed
    SpamKarma2
    Widgets
    MyMooMus (adds the mood and current activity to posts like LJ but with less angst) I renamed it to MyMoods for users.
    Adhesive (for sticky posts)
    WP Flickr post bar - good if you have photo happy users
    Autoclose comments (I use this on almost every blog I own)
    Twilight autosave
    wp-online counter

I also have for extra widgets:
    - local weather
    - author profile (thanks to eargate here on the forum)
    - sidebar login (a widget we wrote for our users and haven't bothered to release. It logs a user into the blog they are reading *without* redirecting them to the backend. useful if someone has to be logged in to comment. Dunno how it will work in later versions of MU. From the looks of it, it may have been rendered redundant.)

My users really like to bling out their blogs.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hacked code here. (I mention that in the post I linked to but it is kind of buried.) It points to one of my sites but you can get the download script yourself here. There's a line in the extreme video code where you can edit it if you want to host your own download site. (or you can leave it if you don't mind. I could use the extra Adsense income. :whistle: :)

Thanks for the list of plugins. I don't recognize a number of them but I'm sure i can dig them up. (Might even add them to my WP pachage that i roll out for my clients)

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks. :) I shall test it and let you know. Meanwhile, I have a nifty generated list of plugins on my regular blog too.
    http://atypicalife.net/blog/?page_id=1534
    (scroll down past the stats, also a plugin)

There's a few there I may add to my MU install. I really really like plugins that add functionality to the backend.

7. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I am testing on my test server

Plugins:

Auto-Close Comments (thanks adrea_r)
    Adhesive
    Comvatars
    del.icio.us cached
    myMooMus (giving an error for me)
    podPress
    Related Posts
    Flickr Photo Gallery
    Spam Karma 2
    Ultimate Tag Warrior
    Ultimate Tag Warrior: Tag Archive
    WP-SlimStat
    WP-ExtremeVideo (thanks drmike)

MU Plugins

List All
    MU Admin Bar
    Plugman
    Upload Space
    User Themes
    wpmufeed

8. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea_r,

Having trouble's with myMooMus

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/wp-content/plugins/myMooMus.php on line 517

seems like nothing is being installed. Did you have to do any hacking?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Huh. Not that I can remember?

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ditto about the Upload Space plugin. Havn't used it yet though.

I'll have to take a look at myMooMus sometime.

11. jaredb
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've got tagboard, recent comments, and top commenters plugins (widgets) that I've made (for regular WP and MU) at my blog.

I should note that I've only been using the recent nightly MU builds to test these, so I should probably switch over to using the mainstream release candidates and make sure they work well there first, but feel free to give them a try if you'd like.

12. Cloud
    Posted 17 years ago #

So far at journals.ie I've installed:

mu-plugins:

- Spam Karma 2
    - Widgets
    - WPMU Feed

themes:

- K2 (with various CSS styles)

other:

- bbPress
    - Custom List of Blogs
    - Custom Main Page (generated from WPMU RSS, bbPress RSS, etc.) (changed from the home theme to my own custom one)

I had multiple domains working with the previous WPMU releases, but since RC1 it's become harder to do because of redirects and other stuff being used.

13. Cloud
    Posted 17 years ago #

BTW SK2 installs fine in mu-plugins (to answer a question above). Just follow these instructions:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=452&replies=25

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Added another one just now, Live Comment Preview
    (http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/LiveCommentPreview). Seems to work okay, and you don't need to edit any theme for it to work.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

wp-plugins.org is currently down by the way as the owner hasn't renewed the domain. One of the WP mailing lists has been discussing it heavily for the last few days. (ie they have no life :)

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had it kicking around on my hard drive (and at least one install) already.
    (Heard about the domain kerfluffle thru the Wank :D )

17. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I have on my site:
    - widgets
    - extremevideo (except I've adapted it so there are buttons in the toolbar)
    - massmailer (although I haven't used it since I had less than 2000 users, I'm wondering what would happen if i run it now with 10 times more).
    - bbpress support forums (not really a plugin)

Plus a couple custom plugins:
    - avatars (I wanted something local, not a big fan of gravatars)
    - global categories (not based on local categories, but on predefined directory at the sitewide level)
    - available upload space (couldn't make wp-space work properly)
    - Custom stats plugin, generates pageviews and uniques graph in the admin + popular pages. Needed to custom code it because bsuite creates 3 tables per user, and i wanted everything in 1 table, wanted it simple (my users don't even know what a user agent is) and i wanted it to scale easily.
    - Random users - shows random users along with their avatars on my site home page.
    - Latest updated blogs, latest published articles, most active bloggers, most commented blogs. Didn't like the number of queries the available plugins had to run with a large number of blogs, so i did something myself to make it more efficient.
    - also I have simpified a lot the admin interface (way too complex for blog newbies who don't even know what rss is).

Soon (hopefully) to add:
    - pxsmail contact form (couldn't get wp-contact form to work)
    - image manager (once i translate it)
    - survey creator (if i can get it to work)
    - spam karma 2 (once I get to make options admin-editable-only)
    - adhesive (maybe, surprisingly everyone but me seems to be able to make this work)
    - probably some gallery plugin

phew ! some work on my hands :)

18. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I recently added comvatars, which means people get avatars or gravatars and admins don't have to edit all the templates. WHEW!

Impressive list quenting. :)

19. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea, do you make it optional for each user or is it site wide?

20. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I made it optional - not everyone wants it and it will slow down page loads. Need a URL to see it in action?

21. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nah, I'm just curious as it was my understanding that they had to be activiated in order for Comvatars to work. I know you can activate Gravatars anyway because you have to manually add it the hooks to get them to display. (Therefore it's moot if its on or not) but both the favatars and the combo use hooks. Just wondering how you're getting around the "do it in order" bit.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I have it in the regular plugins folder, as well as the gravatars one. Activiating both gives a blog the use of gravatars without the template edit. I just kinda plunked them in and it worked.

23. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Deep Inhale . . .

For spam: did_you_pass_math.php (I once fiddled with the random strings to up the level of difficulty = What's 92378 + 77653? Wrong, bye bye comment.)

For Mac ical: ical-events.php (with a widget) time zones are stuck in server land rather than user land though.

list-all-themes.php
    list-all.php

mu-admin-bar.php(doctored up a with a brushed metal background to blend with Safari)

For WPMU: plugman.php for managing plugins site wide

For sidebars everywhere: quotation.php, with Random, motivational, Daily quotes widgets

For more sidebar fun, random-posts.php and a widget to scramble up the sidebar. http://blog.snowotherway.org/snowflake/

Favorite Hackeded up plugin: structuredblogging.php (aka microcontent)

For wpmu: upload-space-plugin.php

For sanity: userthemes.php(with only me having theme editor enabled.) Biggest benefit is the theme list page only shows active theme screen shot and a screen shot for rest (200+)on rollover. No more 30 second theme page loads.

For fun: widgets.php (love the RSS)
    widgets for wikipedia, phpcoin catalogs, gallery, flickr badges, punbb forum, faqmasterflex, even an SMS text message to any cell phone #.

Favorite original: wpmu_footer.php. Adds a "| About | FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Safety Tips | Contact | " to every theme in its style(95%)

Recent: wpmufeed.php, last experience with object cache was frustrating, so far so good.

Never used: wpmusitedown.php (scared of some disaster occuring while activated)

Another original, I think: wysiwyg_print.php adds a media=print...style.css to every blog so prints and previews are, well, wysiwyg.

And two regular plugins: Angsumans authenticated wordpress, and silas partners flickr(hacked so photos can only go to and from a flickr account with no upload to files in user blogs.dir)

Whew. And exhale.

D. Sader

24. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ooo! I like your list. :D

I used site-down and ... silly me... while upgrading the entire site got logged out. Who knew? Fixed it by finding the pluygin in the database and changing a flag from 3 to 0 to get the site back up and unblocked.

Random quotes widget (customizable?) & the footer one. I'm gonna have to break down and try the user themes one if I can limit who has access to it...

25. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea_r

Edit themes are off by default, even in admin. Must go to a new Site Admin menu to enable.

Oh, and comment out the "die" line in theme-editor.php or you'll get stuck with "Theme editor is disabled" message.

I'd like to "massage" the "list all themes" plugin to dispay themes the same Javascript way User Themes does. I just hate waiting for a big long list of themes with screen shots to load.

WPmudev refers to a "read only" state for the database. How does one do that?

26. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

another quick fix is to go to the mu-plugins folder, delete the plugin (or plugin folder)... once you've logged in.. just do a restore... a little faster and a little safer than messing with you sql (not that you don't know what you are doing but there are others who aren't so familiar with sql/myphpadmin ;)

27. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doh, yeah.. deleting the site-down plugin would have done it, but I was in a coding mood that day.. :D
    Ever notice that coders tend to do things the more complicated way?

28. Steph
    Posted 17 years ago #

dsader: when you say edit themes, you mean theme editing? didn't find out how to enable that.

29. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use the following for my wordpress mu,
    Akismet
    blogByMailMU
    Get Recent Comments
    Flickr Photo Gallery
    Static Front Page
    WP-OnlineCounter
    Contact Form ][ (WP-2.0.x)

Jean Andre Vallery
    Sarasota Florida
    http://www.bicyclejournals.net

30. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've also added the "Life's Little Instructions" plugin which print a small one-liner up at the top for a quick smile for my users. :)

Steph, I believe he did this:
    "comment out the "die" line in theme-editor.php"
    But you're placing your site in your user's hands if you do. :) Also see:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/User-Themes

About this Topic