The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Theme management in admin section (5 posts)

1. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

I read WPMU might be merging and so I have no idea how themes might be managed in the future but two suggestions:

• in Site Admin > Themes >

It needs a single, simple radio button at the top to 'select/deselect all themes'. I just added 100 themes ... why does every WPadmin have to manually selection all themes individually?

• in Appearance > Themes >

does this not need re-designed or is there a plugin to do it?

For examples,

a Lightbox style presentation that shows scrolling single theme screenshots?
    a simple, single line list with smaller thumbs that uses a rollover effect to show a bigger preview?

• in Appearances > Themes >

Defining themes via a 'Search', 'Categories', e.g. single column, double column, color or search as per plugins, e.g. status as active, disabled, upgrade available.

I love Wordpress but, historically, it has always had this thing of making items in the Admin section REALLY BIG and simple (in a negative way) looking. I would prefer it to be simple but more condensed, using a single, even, typography ... and with less page clicking. I just don't think there is a need for the BIG blocks given over to theme designs.

• Screenshots

Just as a grumble aside ... why do some designers never seem to optimize their screenshots for web use? I have seen some up using .pngs at around 250k when they could be 25k or less. Do the arithmetics ...

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

Themes are a lot of work to keep current, keep compatible, and keep a variety.

I do much appreciate the theme install page.

In the following plugin, I've specifically gone after the screenshot issue, compact display, and sort by tags. I do enjoy the bandwidth saved by doing away with loading dozens of screenshots every time theme page is loaded.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Rollover-Themes-List

3. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

Will have a look, thanks ... I was going to say it does not work for me in 2.8.4a but I see it addes a second "Themes" in the "Appearance" menu. It is pretty much what I imagined. Great.

I was thinking a simple sort by activate/inactive/needing updated etc would also help.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Your best bet, since most of the themes admin area is general WP, go file trac tickets as enhancements.

5. nonegiven
    Posted 14 years ago #

I see the plugin actually does not effect the MU Themes activation page. It is still necessary to manually click each theme with no sorting etc.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nonegiven
  • Latest reply from nonegiven