The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can you move WPMU from one directory to another? and How? (11 posts)

1. TruSktr
    Posted 14 years ago #

How can this be done?

example:

move WPMU in its entirety
    from mydomain.com/folder
    to mydomain.com/newfolder

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

rename the folder on the server, and then rename all occurrences in the database & wp-config (if needed).

in a nutshell, anyway.

If it's all on the same server, there's no need to physically move files around.

3. tobyadams
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am in the process of doing something similar, going from:

lateforlunch.co.uk/wpmu

to

lateforlunch.co.uk/blogs

From what I have read, I should run this query:

EXEC SearchAndReplace '/wpmu', '/blogs'
    GO

Am I correct this will replace all instances? Then changing the directory itself along with modifying the wp-config file should see the change through?

Plan B was to wait for WP 3.0 and see if there was a simple solution to do this with a nice pretty front end like there is in WP at the moment. I understand that it is missing at the moment as WPMU 2.X is designed to run in a site root, do I have this correct?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The confusions stems from people trying to install MU in a folder and have it *look* like it runs off the root. that you can't do.

You can otherwise run MU from the root or a folder or a subdomain.

Plan B was to wait for WP 3.0 and see if there was a simple solution to do this with a nice pretty front end like there is in WP at the moment.

Nope. Not in 3.0. The userblogs & extra network tables store the URL.

5. tobyadams
    Posted 13 years ago #

Okay, so;

From what I have read, I should run this query:

EXEC SearchAndReplace '/wpmu', '/blogs'
    GO

Am I correct this will replace all instances? Then changing the directory itself along with modifying the wp-config file should see the change through?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I don't even know what that query is run from.

the things you want to change are in the *database*. not files (excpet, as noted, wp-config.php).

You need a sql statement, and frankly what most of us do is a database dump, then do a search & replace on that, then re-import.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

The sql commend you're looking at is for MSSQL, not MySQL.

Depends on your interface, both hosting and if you have phpmyadmin, this should get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?q=search+and+replace+mysql

8. tobyadams
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have found a brilliant tool for find and replace across all tables in a MySQL database:

http://sewmyheadon.com/2009/mysql-search-replace-tool/

Preparing to do this this afternoon.

9. tobyadams
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have just done my migration, one other note to anyone else trying this; there is another replacement that needs to be done on the first line of the .htaccess file :-)

10. allreviews
    Posted 13 years ago #

We have wordpress MU installed in our root and need to move it to a subfolder so we can run our Joomla from the root. Do we have to move the files or can we rename the Public_html folder to the new subfolder name for wordpress and then recreate a new public_html?

11. nanwpmu
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have just done my migration, one other note to anyone else trying this; there is another replacement that needs to be done on the first line of the .htaccess file :-)

What is the replacements that need to be done on the first line of .htaccess file. Im trying to do the same thing.

About this Topic