The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

running WPMU on multiple URLS, each with their own sub-blogs (12 posts)

1. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok so here's my dream, is WPMU capable of this?

I want to have one set of users on multiple URLs with a different blog at each URL, so same database on multiple URLs.

Then on each of the URLs, I want to have sub-URLs so that users on any of the three or so main URLs, can create their own blogs on:

theirname.blogURL1.com

and

theirname.blogURL2.com

and

theirname.blogURL3.com

All of it run from the same database so that members can network with each other and have just one login for all the sites.

So is my dream going to become a reality?

2. STDestiny
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The domain mapping plugin will just give each blog their own domain.

If you want signups underneath those, you need a multi-SITE plugin. Yes there is a difference. :)

And yep, totally do-able.

4. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, this is getting cool. I like to think that dreams are possible. WPMU makes dreams possible. I'm getting teary eyed here.

Ok, so let's say I've got three multi-sites running with sub blogs on each and simple:press forum(s) and buddy press and some cool plug ins to make it all come together.

Does that mean that it's going to run super slow? Or is it possible to have a fully loaded system running perfectly fine speed wise?

5. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Speed is at least partially dependent on your host or server. It sounds like you'll want to get a virtual private server or a physical server to run this on. Then you can fine tune Apache, PHP and MySQL to handle whatever load you need to.

It is possible to have a system like you are talking about. It's just going to take some setup and tuning.

6. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

crap. I don't like this "setup and tuning" you speak of.

7. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok then, any hints on the plugins I need to use, ok specifics?

For now I'm just getting started with the three main sites, three main blogs, and I would like to run off the same database.

Then next, it will be to enable users to sign up and create sub-blogs on at least two of those sites.

So for the next step should I use the domain mapping plugin which STDestiny linked to in the first response (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/) Or do should I get going with the multi-site plug in from the get go?

8. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd go with the multi-site plugin from the start if it is going to fit your long term goals. I wouldn't start down one path (using domain mapping) just to have to switch later on.

9. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yah, I definitely realized that after the post... ok, well, total newbie with no programming experience... taking the plunge. Seems to be a pain that Buddy Press requires it's own special templates. What's with that? I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions for you lovely intelligent non-newbies. Gratitude for the help!

10. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

Troubles in paradise.

What about instead of a Multi-site plugin, which I'm running into some problems with,

I had two installs of WordPressMU and just used the same database? Would that work?

Otherwise, using: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

Should I be able to have the two or three main sites and then a user can sign up and create their own blog on each one on a sub-directory?

11. fotway
    Posted 14 years ago #

my goodneess, it actually is working out for me quite well.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is understanding exactly what the multi-site-manager set up is talking about when it says:

"How do I set up my domains to work with it?
    Each domain you want to administer with a single WPMU install must be pointed by your webserver at your WPMU installation files. This means that:

1. DNS should resolve each domain to your webserver’s address
    2. Your webserver should serve the WPMU files when someone requests that domain ( via a new VirtualHost with appropriately set DocumentRoot, or with a ServerAlias directive )
    3. If you create a new VirtualHost and use per-VirtualHost Directory statements, ensure that the new VirtualHost’s Directory statement is configured to match the old one.

"

I have my domain pointed to the webserver, but not clear one what a 'VirtualHost' is or a "ServerAlias directive", not sure how to get it properly pointed to the WPMU files...

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Do you know how to park a domain? Just do that. park domain #2 on top of the wpmu domain. MU does the rest.

About this Topic