The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Importing (10 posts)

1. EternalSkyChaz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey,

I am trying to import blogs and posts from an installation of WP 2.0.9 via RSS (2.0.9 doesn't seem to be able to export its posts). I go to the wp-rss2.php file and click on it to import it and WPMU come back and says

All done. Have fun!

But none of the posts are imported. Am I expecting something from this function that it is not supposed to do?

Is thee maybe some way to export from WP 2.0.9 that I am not aware of?

Thanks

P.S.

This regular WP that I am trying to import from, NOT WPMU.

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can you upgrade your regular WP site to 2.8.4, then try importing into WPMU?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You will have to try and upgrade the single WP 2.0.9 site.

Otherwise, if you can't and don't have access to do that,try this:

- go to the WPMU site
    - make a new blog for this
    - go to Tools -> Import.
    - Pick RSS
    - put in the odl blog address, see how much it grabs.

4. EternalSkyChaz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I can't upgrade the old site to 2.8.4 because I was using the Multiply plug in to cause regular WP to create multiple blogs off of a single install and a single dashboard. It was great but the plug in author stopped development of the plug in that long ago.

When I click on the RSS button to IMPORT a blog, it never asks for a web address, it asks for an RSS file on my computer.

5. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

What does your database look like? The multiply plugin page notes that it may be good to WordPress 2.3 but not tested yet - of course back up your database and server files/folders first. At this stage, you cannot go WPMU until that's solved first. If upgrade to WP 2.3 is successful, check if you can export the XML of individual blogs.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"it asks for an RSS file on my computer. "

Aha, forgot how it worked. :D Visit the rss feed in question and simply save the page.

7. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Some old plugins from Aaron Brazell which could create exporter from WP 2.0. I hope it works for you with your set-up
    - http://technosailor.com/2006/07/05/wordpress-to-wordpress-import/
    - http://technosailor.com/2006/11/15/wordpress-to-wordpress-import-v20-released/

8. EternalSkyChaz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks everyone! I was able to successfully upgrade to WP 2.3 and keep the Multiply functionality and successfully move the test and some pics of the blogs to a new blog. Videos will have to be moveds manually, but that effort will be tiddly winks as compared to having to re-type all the blog entries AND re-add pics and vids.

Now, all I need to do is to get WPMY to upload files over 2 megs and learn how to make my themes and sidebars widget aware and functioning ...

I should have done this long ago when some bright boy first came up with the idea of widgets, but so many of the WP community fought against the extensive use of widgets at that time that I thoubht widgets would never catch on ...

9. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

All's well that ends well :-) Good for you.

"I thought widgets would never catch on.."
    Some friends coming to WP from Joomla are using widgets like crazy in their custom themes. I had already pointed conditional statements and queries etc. to them but ... they're using at least 14-20 or more widgets a page/post ala their Joomla modules :-)

10. EternalSkyChaz
    Posted 14 years ago #

*shudders at the thought of joomla*

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by EternalSkyChaz
  • Latest reply from EternalSkyChaz