The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

managing blogs and users via batch scripts (8 posts)

1. jte
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd like to set up some processes to synchronize our wpmu installation with our account management system. This would ideally involve processing an input file once a day or so and doing blog/user adds/deletes and role/security setup based on the contents of this file.

Are there any hooks that would allow me to get at the wordpress functions for adding blogs/users outside of the context of a web browser/plugin? Has anyone attempted something like this? I'm not familiar with plugin creation, but it doesn't seem like a good fit here?

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is your account management system LDAP-based? There are several LDAP plugins floating around that might help.

3. jte
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sadly, the information I need isn't in our ldap directory. The account management system is custom. I can get data sent to me in whatever format that I want (more-or-less), but I need a way to get at the wpmu functions from some sort of scripting language in order to create the blogs/entities that I need from that.

Ideally, I could work in perl, or similar so I could easily parse some sort of input file, and then call wpmu functions to do the add/deletes/permission-setting/etc... I'm not sure how one would approach this...

4. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Flip through the Codex. You'll find the WordPress functions there. You'll also want to write in PHP.

5. jte
    Posted 14 years ago #

can I get the wordpress functions to work outside of a webserver context?

this test script:

<?php
    require( '/<wpmu path>/wp-blog-header.php' );
    require( '/<wpmu path>/wp-includes/registration.php' );
    $username="admin";
    if (username_exists($username))
    echo "exists";
    else
    echo "doesn't exist";
    ?>

works fine if I dump it in my document root, but if I try and run it from the command line ($ php test.php) I get no output.

What I'm trying to do would require that I run a job periodically - it doesn't seem appropriate to run within a browser... Can this be done?

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can't run WPMU scripts from the command line without changing a core file.

If you want to do it :

Copy wp-config.php to wp-config2.php
    Edit wp-config2.php and change require_once(ABSPATH.'wp-settings.php'); to require_once(ABSPATH.'wp-settings2.php');

Copy wp-settings.php to wp-settings2.php
    Edit wp-settings2.php and change require_once ( ABSPATH . 'wpmu-settings.php' );to require_once ( ABSPATH . 'wpmu-settings2.php' );

Copy wpmu-settings.php to wpmu-settings2.php
    Edit wpmu-settings2.php

Find

if( $current_site && $current_blog == null ) {

if( $current_site->domain != $_SERVER[ 'HTTP_HOST' ] ) {

header( "Location: http://&quot; . $current_site->domain . $current_site->path );

exit;

}

$current_blog = $wpdb->get_row( $wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE domain = %s AND path = %s", $current_site->domain, $current_site->path) );

}

which is round line 166

Change it to:

if( $current_site && $current_blog == null ) {

#if( $current_site->domain != $_SERVER[ 'HTTP_HOST' ] ) {

#	header( "Location: http://&quot; . $current_site->domain . $current_site->path );

#	exit;

#}

$current_blog = $wpdb->get_row( $wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE domain = %s AND path = %s", $current_site->domain, $current_site->path) );

}

Then in the script you want to run you need to change the include line that says wp-config.php to wp-config2.php

Its a pain but it works.

I'm wondering if its worth working out a neater way to do it and putting something into trac

7. jte
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm still getting no output with the command-line, and expected functionality if I call from within a browser. Test script is now:

<?php
    require_once( '/<wpmu dir>/wp-config2.php' );
    require( '/<wpmu dir>/wp-includes/registration.php' );
    $username="admin";
    if (username_exists($username))
            echo "exists";
    else
            echo "doesn't exist";
    ?>

Any thoughts? Many thanks for the help.

8. jte
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a good way to figure out why this fails? It seems to just die without any output whatsoever.

Even with:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

in my files, I get almost nothing indicating why it dies on the command line. Exit value is 0. A simple echo after the require of wp-config2.php never displays, so I assume that there's something in there that's dying, but I've got no leads to go on.

About this Topic