The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anyone recently update from a very old MU to RC2 or RC3? (18 posts)

1. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am considering starting over and upgrading to RC3.

My plan is to wipe everything but the database and do a fresh install.

I am running a release from November 05 (maybe earlier) if I remember correctly.

Any huge issues I'm going to run into that you guys can warn me about? Is the old database compatible with the new RC3? Any chages to the url structure that would cause problems with the pages currently indexed?

I've been a bit out of the MU loop this year and the forum search function isn't yeilding much so far.

Freq---

2. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Freq,

See http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1496&replies=2 which has some links to docs for upgrading and troubleshooting.

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Exactly how old is your copy of wpmu? Just out of curiosity.

4. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

it's always risky business!

5. Ste_000
    Posted 17 years ago #

i update from 18th december version of wpmu, i follow the instructions on svn and all run perfectly :D Backup all before upgrading ;)

6. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the pointers guys.

andrewbillits- I'm pretty sure my install was last updated in November 05... possibly December.

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

You shouldn't have a problem then. When you said "very old" I was think like may/june of last year. THEN you would have issues ;)

8. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrewbillits- I'm upgrading as we speak. I assume I do not want to go through the installation page (as in a fresh install) since I'm using my existing database etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember which file to manually edit with my database info...

I'm sure I'll find it but in case you are "live" feel free to most a reminder.

Freq---

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Amanzi made an excellent post about upgrading around the 6th of june. Here's the thread.

I hope that helps. If not just post back here. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next couple of hours.

10. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, found that and I'm almost back up and running.

Also ran the upgrade script via admin.

Can't access any of the current blogs however...

It would appear they have lost all of their blog names. Looking via site admin at the list of active blogs all of the blog names are set to '/'. I did set base to '/' which I thought was correct.

What am I missing guys? It's been too long...

Freq---

11. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, I tracked down itdamagers post regarding upgrade being broken... symptoms seem to match mine. I'll have to check into his fix. (unless of course donnchas already fixed it in the nightlies... better check there first...)

Thanks again andrew.

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anytime. There was another post very recently that mentioned your problem however I can't seem to find it.

Btw, you may have figured this out by now but the search form at the top of the page is a little screwed up. The correct search form for the forums can be found here.

13. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

THANK YOU!!! for the link to the mu forum search. I've been cussing that search box all night.

I'm currently working on upgrading everything noted in the changelog since July 12th when RC3 was created. Hopefully the problem will be fixed in the process.

Freq---

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

We've been trying to get Matt or someone with access to the server to fix that search box for months now and it's, well, still broken.

As for RC3, a lot of things we're fixed between RC2 and RC3 so that will most likely fix your problem.

15. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Upgraded to the latest nightly and the problem persists. If I try to go to any live blog it says it doesn't exist.

Time to try out that searchbox.

Freq---

16. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is a shot in the dark but read this post. That whole thread in general may also be helpful.

17. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, (thanks to the good search box) this post did the trick:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1369&replies=10

I needed to make a couple more updates to wp-config.

You've been a great help.

Now I just have to hope all the pages didn't get wiped from the index while I was screwing around.

Freq---

18. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

woot!

Image upload now works for the first time ever on my install. RC3 seems to be pretty good so far. Tomorrow I'll see if all of my plugins and mods still work.

Great work Donncha and crew!

haaaa... and the peasants rejoice!

Time to get another MU going.

But first, time for sleep.

Thanks one more time for your help andrew!

Freq---

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Frequent
  • Latest reply from Frequent