The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't log into admin after install (9 posts)

1. rcthink
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck with MU after I install it. It shows me the success screen with my username and password. I click to go to the login screen. It goes there ok but it won't log in with the password it gives me.

I've got all the files in the root of it's domain and I'm going to use subdomains. I've got the wildcard dns setup on dreamhost. They've got mod_rewrite going on there and said the * serverAlias is set up.

This is the domain http://windrocktravel.com/. I get a redirect error when I go to the main domain but the subdomains work.

I still can't log in though.
    Any ideas?

2. STDestiny
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try deleting your .htaccess and wp-config and reinstalling. It seems to be a redirect issue.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Go into the domain records and take the www off. That's why it's redirecting - it keeps going between them. If you set MU to use no-www (better) but the server is set to redirect all requests to the www, then you get this redirect.

4. rcthink
    Posted 14 years ago #

ultimate wickedness. That fixed it all. Thanks so much Andrea!!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's just careful watching of the bottom bar of the browser is all. :)

6. idealbizmatch
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea - you are totally awesome! Taking the www off solved my MU problems.

7. danfolt
    Posted 13 years ago #

@rcthink
    Hi I wanted to ask you , do you use private server on Dreamhost ? Dreamhost told me that they can setup wildcard only if i pay private server , does exists some way to run MU subdomains without wildcard? , I dont think that my multiblogs will earn more than 15-200 USD + 8,65 USD share hosting fee that i already paid a month using only 300mb of space. I wanted to try it and after if there will be higher traffic would pay private server.

8. WorldWideDancers
    Posted 13 years ago #

question for Andrea:
    I have read somewhere on this forum that you have said that it is not necessary to have wildcard DNS unless i didnt created any subdomain yet , that we can set vhost from "yes" to "no" . I did it and it worked perfectly until I got into the troubles with cookies , All system from visitors side works perfect but me like a admin cant get to my dashboard anymore , can you suggest me what can i do with that?
    I successfully installed MU in subdomains mod , not in subdirectory , after i spoke with Dreamhost and they told me that i need private server to get Wildcard DNS setup. So now I know that wildcard is impossible for me because it is too expensive advantage to let the people create subdomains . After I read your post where you've said that we can run it without Wildcard , all we have to do is to change wp-config.php , did I miss something ? help me please , do i need to reinstall it in subdirectories mod now?
    Danfolt and WorldWidedancers is always me=the same problem , I thought that MU forum and standard wordpress forum is different, so I made new registration-so i dont spam here.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

If the edit to the wp-config.php didn't work out for you, then reinstall and pick subdirectories.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by rcthink
  • Latest reply from andrea_r