The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

might need some serius help putting a site together (for pay) (17 posts)

1. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

i didn know where to put this(in which subforum).

check out http://www.hypebeast.com , what would it cost to put something similar together and making it admin friendly? if for example YOU took the job.. ?
    i have a guy but i think he is OVERpriced! ;)

thnx ;)

O

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don;t see that as a wpmu site. Looks like a regular blog to me with multiple authors.

And I have a feeling that whatever quote I give, it's still going to be too high for you.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

@tdjcbe - check out the "BlogS" link in the nav bar.

@onakosano - a reasonable price range for a highly customized site like that would be anywhere from $1,500 - $5000. And up. Depending on who you talk to.

If someone can do it for you for $300, then it'll look like 300 bucks.

I'm basing that not just on what I'd charge (sorry, I'm booked) but in knowing what other consultants charge.

4. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

the guy i was talking to wanted about $11 000 for it.... that i something i feel is to high..cuz i can do some simple stuff myself and with a few months of reading codes and try/fails i probaly could do it myself..
    thats why i was wondering ;)

well, i now have to look for someone else to do it.

5. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can get in touch with folks who might be interested on the WP Pro mailing list. Visit lists.automattic.com to learn more about the lists.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well that's a refreshing change. :) I thought you were going to come back and tell us $200.

Some of the bigger devs do charge that much. That would also include a custom design, I would imagine. Or, the guy didn't know how exactly so he was quoting custom code. Tons of reasons.

Check out the wp-pro mailing list:
    http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-pro
    and the list of peeps here:
    http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers

7. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

the reason i was told for the big amount was that he actually had to learn how to use PHP... witch set me off since when somebody is a newbie they should charge less since its uncharted terrain..

thanx andrea_r, ill check out the list :)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Uh, yeah.. I'd run away screaming.

If you want someone to build you a WPMU-based site, find someone who has previously built a WPMU-based site. :D

Good call.

9. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

ive tested the WPMU now, and i actually think im going to try to do this my selv( i used to be a flash designer, graphicsdesigner and ive tried some html)..
    going to try the " try and fail " theory :P

worst thing that can happen is that i hire someone else to do the job ;)

thanks for the help ;)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Might wanna dig around my blog for some tutorials too.

11. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

trust me, ive been writing you an e-mail and then not sendt it since ive been checking out your blog and figured out the problem :)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

LOL!

Good. :D I love it when people learn how to work things out. :)

(also I am slow to reply. and I think my contact form is broken)

13. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

the reason i was told for the big amount was that he actually had to learn how to use PHP

Thanks onakosano, I almost choked while sipping my tea when I read that because I started laughing out loud so hard. Man, it sure woke me up. The "website developer" probably said that with a straight face too HAHAHAHAHA.

Based on what your previous post, I think you're ready to put the site together yourself before that "web developer" can ever do so. Good luck.

14. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just so you know, $11k is not out of line money wise. I was in the same boat a number of months ago and contacted a number of design firms. Without exception they all came in with quotes anywhere from 10k-25k. Yeah, I was shocked, but after spending the last 3 months building it myself, I can see why they charge like that.

As to a dev that does not know php...LOL run fast! (I suppose at least he was honest)

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, I can see why some places charge that much. But the ranges I've experienced are from WP-specific people, well known in the design / dev circles. Some are far more reasonable. :)

16. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

yup, well, some people should not be in business... hehe, im doing my way right now... hehe, figured that the best way to learn is to install a theme and then play around with the css..
    wish me luck

17. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually that's really the best way to learn. Also in case something breaks and you can't reach your consultant, at the very least you can take a shot at it.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by onakosano
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe