The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Bad Install? (20 posts)

1. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, this whole process has been a headache. If you go to my website, auexaminer.com, you'll see an error that makes it look like the install was half baked or something. I can't figure out how to access the admin page. Please help!

It says:

Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

WordPress version: 2.7.1 ? How about re-uploading WPMU but with latest version 2.8.4a? To login, go to either
    http://auexaminer.com/wp-login.php or http://auexaminer.com/wp-admin/ just like single WP and enter username and password per installation

3. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also, the "Not Found" message usually comes up when the .htaccess file is not being read. This could be because:

1. The .htaccess file is missing and/or not readable by the server.

2. Apache's mod_rewrite is not enabled.

3. You haven't configured Apache's AllowOverride correctly.

Check those things -- you can find more info about them in the readme.txt that came with WPMU -- and let us know.

4. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

I re-installed and the "Successful install" page gives me this warning:

Warning! Wildcard DNS may not be configured correctly!

To use the subdomain feature of WordPress MU you must have a wildcard entry in your dns. The installer attempted to contact a random hostname (6638d2.auexaminer.com) on your domain but failed. It returned this error message:
    Couldn't resolve host '6638d2.auexaminer.com'

From the README.txt:

If you want to host blogs of the form http://blog.domain.tld/ where domain.tld is the domain name of your machine then you must add a wildcard record to your DNS records.
    This usually means adding a '*' hostname record pointing at your webserver in your DNS configuration tool. Matt has a more detailed explanation on his blog. If you still have problems, these forum messages may help.

You can still use your site but any subdomain you create may not be accessible. This check is not foolproof so ignore if you know your dns is correct.
    Directory Permissions

Please remember to reset the permissions on the following directories:

* /home/auexami1/public_html
    * /home/auexami1/public_html/wp-content/

You can probably use the following command to fix the permissions but check with your host if it doubt:
    chmod 755 /home/auexami1/public_html /home/auexami1/public_html/wp-content/

5. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

And once I log in I still get the 404 error message

6. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you set up the DNS entry as WPMU asks? If you have, did you give it some time (24-48 hours, usually) to take effect?

And also, have you checked that Apache has mod_rewrite running?

7. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, I'm a total noob at this. Where can I find the Apache config?

Also, for what it's worth, here are the only 2 apache handlers and their extensions.

cgi-script: .cgi .pl .plx .ppl .perl
    server-parsed: .shtml

8. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you running your own server or are you using a hosting service? If you're on a hosting service, you'll have to contact support there and ask about Apache's configuration.

9. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Using justhost.com. Already have a ticket with them. Thanks!

10. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just as a warning and FYI: some hosts don't like hosting WPMU on shared servers.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Or they don't allow wildcards and you may have to choose subdirectories on the install screen. (domain.com/userblog/)

12. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah their support has to install it

13. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

just for fun I tried re-installing with subdirectories and didnt get the DNS error but I'm still getting that 404 when I try to log in. Does that mean it's apache? Does that give anyone any more clues?

14. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

still getting that 404 when I try to log in. Does that mean it's apache? Does that give anyone any more clues?

Yeah, that's an indication that Apache isn't set up to use mod_rewrite. Or at least isn't reading the .htaccess file.

15. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

I tried re-installing with subdirectories

Before you re-installed WPMU, did you delete the old .htaccess file and wp-config.php file generated and did you drop all the old database tables generated from the past failed WPMU install?

16. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

can you give me instructions on where to find the tables? (As previously said, I'm new at this)

17. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

You will find the tables in your database which you could also access via phpMyAdmin. If you see the tables from your failed WPMU installation like wp_1_something etc., select all then drop tables (to delete). Then do the re-installation of WPMU.

18. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks mercime, that did it!!!

Thanks everybody!

19. auexaminer
    Posted 14 years ago #

Question: does anyone know why the background of the dashboard is white? All of the options are still there, but the formatting appears broken.

http://auexaminer.com/2009/10/22/broken-wordpress/

I put a picture there so you can see what I mean. It's not that big but basically the site is all vertical, there's no sidebar, just links in a straight line.

20. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try to re-upload WPMU files and folders only ... looks like some admin dashboard CSS files are missing.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by auexaminer
  • Latest reply from mercime