The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding users, blogs and sharing users (13 posts)

1. Djarn
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have added a blog to my already existing, however when I click on the link for the new blog, it tells me the link doesn't exist.

I also want to know if adding a new blog, will users registered with my main blog be automatically registered with my new one, if not is this possible and how so?

I basically am looking for one blog, where it serves as a photoblog with a certain theme, then they click on the page for the second blog, and the theme changes for the new blog to a diary theme.

what's the simplest way of making and handling this?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"however when I click on the link for the new blog, it tells me the link doesn't exist."

Then something is wrong with your setup. unfortunately, you haven't provided enough info for us to determine what that is. Is it a subfolder or subdomain install? For subdomains, did you add the wildcards? Are you on a windows server?

3. Djarn
    Posted 14 years ago #

hey andrea_r , you successfully helped me with a post prior to this, which helped so I've got much faith in you now.

It tells me "Oops! This link appears to be broken." when I click on the visit link under the new blog.

It is on a unix server.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Is it a subfolder or subdomain install?
    For subdomains, did you add the wildcards?
    Are you on a windows server? "

Need these answered. :)

5. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you are on a unix server, are you using Apache? If so, is mod_rewrite setup? Does Apache recognize .htaccess files?

6. Djarn
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmmm, no sure about mod_rewrite, will check it out, however, the .htaccess may be the problem, I'll tell you why

I had to delete one there, I thought it was one my user management script put, because when I used the non MU wordpress version, it never put a file there, I never deleted it, but rather renamed it, then put a new .htaccess file from my user management script.

how do I have a .htaccess script that supports both? Do I just copy the script from one to the other or is there more to it?

I have copied the info from the wordpress .htaccess into the other scripts .htaccess and i's not working.

Maybe a little more info might help.

Now when I create blogs, the blog detail comes up on my main page, but when I click to go into it, it gives me the following

"
    Not Found
    The requested URL /site/2009/10/30/tests1/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request
    "

this new blog I added new after editing me .htaccess file, but it still does this.

When I was using the non MU version, blogs were created no problem and I was able to click to go into them and have all the info.

Perhaps something went wrong and the .htaccess info needed to be there in a previous process?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If the permalinks aren't working, then mod_rewrite isn't working. If your host says it's installed, then Apache is not reading the htacess file.

8. Djarn
    Posted 14 years ago #

the mod_rewrite is working according to my webhost, is there anything else it could be?

9. Djarn
    Posted 14 years ago #

actually I just found out mod_rewrite is not supported by my hosting plan, which is a bummer, back to normal wordpress I guess? is there any other way?

10. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

WPMU won't work without mod_rewrite. If you want to run WPMU, you should find a new host. wpwebhost.com is one of the recommended ones.

11. houseofmax
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am having a login-pw issue for the new user blogs created from the main blog. Blogs are running from a subdomain on unix server with .htaccess file intact.

Any suggestion will be deeply appreciated,

James

12. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

What exactly is the error? What does it do and/or say? Have you checked your Apache and PHP error logs?

13. houseofmax
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey,

Had the problem fixed by a techie but the issue is back compounded by
    "The e-mail could not be sent.
    Possible reason: your host may have disabled the mail() function..."

Thanks for your help.

Additional PHP Errors:

1)
    [Fri Jan 15 09:19:54 2010] [error] [client 69.58.178.32] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './php_mysql.dll' - ./php_mysql.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0 [
    2)
    PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/ixedts.lin' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/ixedts.lin: undefined symbol: executor_globals_id in Unknown on line 0
    [Fri Jan 15 09:20:01 2010] [error] [client 78.46.88.142] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Djarn
  • Latest reply from houseofmax