The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Lost site admin ability. (5 posts)

1. jaxrogue
    Posted 14 years ago #

Got it installed...thanks, Andrea. Now, two things:

1) I was trying to enable plugins and changed user name from admin. I then lost the Site Admin from my dashboard. How do I get it back?

2) Did a test run on new blog and got that damn 404 page.

What can I do to fix these?

2. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

1. In the original admin account, go to Site Admin -> Options and look for a field where it asks for usernames who are allowed to be Site Admins. Put your new username there and update the options.

2. 404 page usually means a DNS or Apache problem. What kind of install did you do (subdomains or subdirectory)?

3. jaxrogue
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's the thing. I am logging in thru the admin account. I was trying to change admin to my username, and that's when the Site Admin area disappeared. I set up a wildcard DNS with the *. The install was for subdomains. Do I have to re-install this thing, or is there a way I can get Site Admin back?

4. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you log into your user account that you changed the site admin to, what happens?

If you removed the admin account and/or messed with it in the database, you're probably going to have to reinstall.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can actually fix it in the database. The thing to remember for next time, is to add the username to Site Admin -> Options *before* doing anything else.

Since you just change the admin username, go in the db, find it, change it back to admin. Then you can get in.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jaxrogue
  • Latest reply from andrea_r