The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU 2.8.5 today (28 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll be releasing WordPress MU 2.8.5 later today but if you have a test server please try out the 2.8 branch so we can track down any last minute bugs.

Here's the list of open tickets already in Trac, so if you want to help, that's a good place to start too.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Spectacular! Thanks for all your hard work donncha.

3. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

donncha, does this one make any DB changes that would make it hard to roll back? I thought I saw you mention something in your blog about some DB changes, but can't remember if it was this release.

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

It'll do stripslashes on blog options and site options but that'll only help if you roll back to 2.8.4a.

5. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

cool, I'll put it on one of my test servers!

6. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

So far so good. I haven't seen anything amiss yet. LDAP logins still work fine. Plugin Commander still works even with the change to the wpmu-sitewide-plugins.php.

7. existentialmedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

After updating to 2.8.5.1 one of my users (with an Author role) is getting this error when trying to publish:

You cannot make this user the post author.

8. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Will there be a tag for 2.8.5.1? I see r1985 was needed, and the version bumped to .1 due to it, but a new tag wasn't set, just curious, I install from svn tags.

9. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just tested and can confirm. Very odd because I specifically tested with a non-site admin account. Filed ticket.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/1142

10. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

I too tested this on a fairly clean install, non site_admin can't publish, get same message as in ticket.

11. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

miklb, I find that it's best to give it a day or two before pulling from svn. I don't know about donncha, but I know I often find a little piece I forgot to include in a tagged version of my projects and end up either dot incrementing or just dropping the bad tagged version and re-tagging.

Ideally it would be perfect, but it's rarely ideal.

12. existentialmedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for opening a ticket. I should have done that in the first place.

I downgraded to 2.8.4 and it is working.

13. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Fix submitted

14. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha fixed the post_author bug and has tagged 2.8.5.2. Awesomeness.

15. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

Cool, I'm having this post_author issue as well.

Is 2.8.5.2 being released soon? eg. this week? If so I won't bother rolling back.

Thanks

16. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

It was released yesterday.

17. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmm.. ok. On checking it looks as though I'm on 2.8.5.2.

Still having this issue - only with the site admin user.

Any ideas?

18. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

So for you, site admins can't publish? Not seeing that problem on my install.

19. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

Specifically I'm attempting to edit a post that the site admin has previously edited. When I hit publish that's when the error occurs.

Interestingly for the post, post author only has one option (the site admin) when logged in as the site admin.

When logged in as the editor for that blog two options are presented in the post author box, but attempting to publish the post still has the same error.

Even weirder... I can edit the post using quick edit (I was originally trying to add tags) with either user.

So to summarise, two users (1 site admin with full administrator access, and 1 editor user with access to that blog). The post is already published and I can't update it using the main editor screen, but can update using the quick edit (not really useful if the content of the post needs to change).

Sorry for the long post!

20. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

Tested this issue a little more.

I can create a new post using the site admin, publish it, but when I attempt to update I get the error.

Is there any more test case you'd like me to try?

21. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

Alllright. Apologies for the triple post, but I've managed to get this to work.

The site admin must be a user on that particular blog. Once they are - the problem goes away. I'm not sure why yet as I don't have access to the code on this machine I'm working on.

Thanks for the prompt responses kgraeme, not sure if you want to follow this ticket up any further but if you do let me know - jkohlbach at gmail - if you need any more info.

22. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

The check that's in there now tries to stop people making the author of the currently edited post or page a user who isn't a member of the current blog. That's exactly what you saw.

In the 2.8 branch I've added an exclusion if the current user is a site_admin, since we should trust them to know what they're doing! (There won't be an immediate 2.8.5.3 release with this, grab the fix from http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.8 - it's in wp-admin/includes/mu.php)

23. jkohlbach
    Posted 14 years ago #

That makes sense. Though, would this change break blog posts that have been previously authored by someone else (who is no longer a user on that blog)?

Eg. in a company context - an employee who previous authored a few posts and leaves the company has their access deleted. If those posts need to be edited (by someone other than the site admin) would this break?

24. LanceGrigsby
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha, jkohlbach is exactly right. I was getting the same initial error when attempting to edit an exiting post (in a regular user's blog) authored by the admin--and by the way, I can't seem to get the revised mu.php file to fix the problem either.

After reading jkohlbach's last post, I attempted to reproduce the scenario he suggests above since we, too, have many blogs that are shared by multiple users.

I went into one such blog as the admin, removed a certain user, logged in as another regular user to attempt to edit a post authored by the removed user, and got the "You cannot make this user the post author" error.

If I were smart enough to fix the problem myself, I wouldn't be complaining on the forums :) --just thought you'd like to know. And thanks for keeping MU rolling along, Donncha!

25. LanceGrigsby
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did create a ticket, though:
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/1146

26. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

LanceGrigsby - thanks, I'll be getting rid of that check as soon as I can. It fixes a really minor problem but introduces so many others it's not worth it. Bah.

To get rid of it on your own site just add "return false;" after this line in wp-admin/includes/mu.php:

function post_author_sanity_check() {

It should look like this after:

function post_author_sanity_check() {
    return false;

27. LanceGrigsby
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha, works great. Thanks!

28. chaivoot
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks, donncha

It's works.

About this Topic