The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't access anything new (5 posts)

1. crollison
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have installed for the 10th time. Previously installed on IIS - same issue - then apache on Windows - same isue, now just finished apache2 on Ubuntu - same issue. So the issue is.

I install - everything works great, up until I create a new blog, or try to access anything after the /. http://sername/somethinghere goes to a page not found. I know that I am doing something wrong, but not sure what it is. I have tried to find any guide that I can and would think that whatever I'm doing wrong would have been seen in a guide out there somewhere through all the different platforms. Can somebody please help me out. Trying to setup a wordpress for my school and I'm about at my wits end. I feel that it is something with the .htaccess but I'm not sure. Thank you for any help.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you;re actually using 'sername' as your domain, you need to use a correctly formatted and resolvable domain with at least 2 segments, even if it's just locally known and resolvable. Search the forums for localhost as this has been repeated many times over. Just using localhost.localdomain and having it as a local domain works fine. (I can;t remember how U. does domains.)

If you are please make sure that you have mod_rewrite activated for apache2 and that it's working please. Double checking the websever's error logs is also a good idea as it's mentioned in the readme file included with the doanload.

3. crollison
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually the sername was a misspelling and just as an example. I am accessing it using a fully qualified domain name. I have verified that mod_rewrite is activated. When I installed using the setup script I use the FQDN as the location.

Any other ideas? Drives me nuts how I can't figure this thing out. I am not against starting over again if somebody could point me to a "current" set of step-by-step directions that maybe I can find my issue.

Thanks for any help.

4. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Mod_rewrite might be active, but have you modified Apache's AllowOverride settings for you server? If you have AllowOverride None, then the .htaccess won't work at all.

Also, check file permissions on the .htaccess file. Can the server read it?

5. crollison
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank You very much, it is now working. I had the AllowOverride in the wrong place I believe.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by crollison
  • Latest reply from crollison