The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Widgets not draggable or dragging weird after upgrade to 2.8.5.2 (10 posts)

1. jbazalar
    Posted 14 years ago #

Today, I did the automatic upgrade to my WPMU site to 2.8.5.2. Afterwards, everything looked ok, except for the fact that I could not drag the widgets into the different bar areas from specific browsers:

Appearance > Widgets

Activating "accessibility mode" from the Screen Options link does allow me to do this, but I'm really tired of having to do all this work for each widget.

I have tried dragging the widgets using Firefox 3.5.4, Google Chrome 3.0.195.27, Maxthon 2.5.7.1162 UNICODE but it doesn't work at all.

Opera 10.01 tries to do it, but the dragging is way off.
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 is the only working (not my preference)

I would like to see if anyone is having the same issue with Firefox or Chrome. Thanks!

2. gmchun
    Posted 14 years ago #

My is disable accessibility mode then dragging was working.

3. Brianglanz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another workaround for widgets: add ?widgets-access=on to the end of ../widgets.php, i.e. in longer form:

../wp-admin/widgets.php?widgets-access=on

and have at it.

On a fresh 2.8.5.2 and good host today, with nary a plugin or other suspect, I have not only been unable to drag and drop widgets, but also for me, even Screen Options do not fly.

Since I'm in a pinch time wise, my best option is the above workaround; maybe for you, too. I've easy access to every major browser, 3 versions of IE, several operating systems, no dice.

I never saw the equivalent in WP 2.8 (was it an early 2.8.x?) myself, but this reminds me of what I read others had reported, over there.

If it's still relevant when I have more time, I will come back around and try to be more helpful. BG

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just verified that I can drag widgets with Firefox. So, it's not an across-the-board issue.

There were some widgets that broke things pretty significantly when the drag and drop stuff started. Do you have any plugins that create widgets? Might want to disable all of them and give it a try.

5. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sounds to me like the javascript is being blocked by a security utility.

6. mcmc
    Posted 14 years ago #

got the same problem...

7. Brianglanz
    Posted 14 years ago #

The most likely answers are at

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/279132

One failed attempt I made at actually fixing it, not only working around, was not mentioned in the above link and did not work for me, but it might work for you:

I wanted to use Google AJAX Libraries API, one stone for both speeding up MU and presumably, using other, possibly working versions of the JavaScript. Thanks http://encosia.com/2008/12/10/3-reasons-why-you-should-let-google-host-jquery-for-you/. This failed for me because as I'd mentioned earlier, I was in a hurry, and with GOOG's AJAX other issues were introduced. For one thing, BuddyPress' admin bar was intermittently overlapping WP's admin and other pages. They were just the kind of issues I did not have time to fix, maybe later.

Anyhow, sorry to take so long to come back around. This is another reminder that MU is 99% WordPress, or something like that, like we're 99% chimpanzee, or something like that :) BG

8. cogmios
    Posted 14 years ago #

I basically use an out of the box installation of mu and bp and I have this problem: none of the widgets are draggable and the "Screen Options do not fly.". Not on the main theme but on no theme of any of the daughter blogs with different themes.

Anyone found any other solution for this?

9. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

The only problem I have is when I try to drag multi instance widgets (as coded from here : http://justcoded.com/article/wordpress-28-multi-widgets/) under IE8 when it borks out with

Line: 39
    Char: 1983
    Code: 0
    URI: http://xxxxxxxxxx/wp-admin/load-scripts.php?c=1&load=hoverIntent,common,jquery-color,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-sortable,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-droppable,admin-widgets&ver=2e9216b405f7a810b00cb8583d41529b

It seems to work fine on other browsers.

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I fixed my issue - it was something as perverse as missing the class in a text call i.e. use:

__('Display this name instead of your Facebook name','WordbookWidget')

instead of

__('Display this name instead of your Facebook name')

and declaring that class in the parent::WP_Widget call

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jbazalar
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty