The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can Comfy news theme (link inside) be compatible with WP-MU or is it already? (11 posts)

1. theultimate1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I just installed WP-MU on my hosting account.

I got this fantastic looking theme called Comfy news magazine theme (www.deluxethemes.com/browse/comfy), and I uploaded and activated on my account having WP-MU.

It doesn't seem to work, maybe the theme itself is not WP-MU compatible. Or, am I doing something wrong?

I need to get this thing resolved at the earliest, and this theme is the best fit.

Thanks for all your help, in advance :)

2. walkingbird
    Posted 14 years ago #

All wordpress themes are mu compatiable. You acitavted the theme and selcted the theme as your theme? What problems are you having?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"It doesn't seem to work"

You'll have to be more specific that that. :)

How does it not work? Honestly, the only issue MU has with themes is if it creates thumbnails using older versions of the timthumb script.

4. theultimate1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

What I'm trying to say is that the theme isn't probably WP-MU compatible.

It doesn't make a mention of it in the link I provided. Just in case anyone missed out, here's the link again

>>>>> http://www.deluxethemes.com/browse/comfy

I upload & activate it on WP-MU and it shows a blank white screen. Please help me with this.

5. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

A blank white screen is most commonly a PHP error. Have you used other themes in your WordPress mu installation without this happening?

6. theultimate1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I'm sorry it isn't a blank screen anymore (that was probably because my net was acting up, earlier).

I've installed the Comfy theme on WPMU on this domain >>> http://www.we-biz.com/

======================
    I see the following error message:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/webizc/public_html/wp-content/themes/comfy-plus/widgets/category.html on line 22
    ======================

Half the theme does show up, though.

What could be the cause? Please help me.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That means the category widget that the them includes has an error. Did you ask the theme authors?

There could be a plugin conflict, hard to say.

There are very, very few themes out there that do not work in MU. And mostly it's added code the dev stuck in. Out of the thousand themes on my hard drive, I can think of one that completely borks. The rest all work.

Can you try the theme on single WP install? My guess though, looking at that error, is that the theme has more instructions than simple "dump in the themes folder" and needs some extra setup you need to do.

8. theultimate1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your support. I tried looking for what you've suggested above. It doesn't cut the chase, somehow.

I've contacted the developers, so am waiting for an update from them.

By the way, I know you're a WP-MU expert. Could it be possible for you to actually find out if it's a WP-MU compatible theme? Or if it is not, how to make it so?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll repeat: there is *nothing* that is MU-specific in a WPMU theme. Nothing.

Sometimes devs add extra code to do some things that bork in MU, but that's really not so much a theme thing. In other words, it's not so much the theme itself, but the "extras" all bundled in with it.

I'm *really* busy the next couple of weeks, otherwise I'd look at it. You'll have to wait for the devs.

10. theultimate1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your prompt help, once again. :-)

However, the theme seems to work fine on a simple WP install. That's the reason why I was getting worried about the compatibility.

I would need to take another look at the extras, as you suggested.

However, for the time being, I've changed the site back to an HTML+CSS static setup.

So, in case anyone wants to know what the error message is, it can be seen in this image: http://www.we-biz.com/we-biz-comfy-error.jpg

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you look at /home/webizc/public_html/wp-content/themes/comfy-plus/widgets/category.html on line 22?

Did you try removing the widgets folder from the theme folder?

Again, this theme is including plugins. It's the plugin that is having the issue in MU.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by theultimate1
  • Latest reply from andrea_r