The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Redirect all pages of root blog to home.php -- how? (2 posts)

1. Raymeo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello!

I use subdomains for the blogs on my wpmu install. However, I don't use my root blog, with the exception of a main navigation page at home.php that guides users to the different subdomains.

If people simply type in the root URL to my site, this works out just fine. However, if not-so-internet-savvy people (face it, they're everywhere) type in a URL like http://mysite.com/archives, expecting it to take them to -- in this instance -- the archives of their favorite subdomain, they get taken to (a) a page that's not meant to be visible or (b) a 404 page. In this case, if they type in the URL and get an empty archives list instead of the list for a subdomain as they expected, they'll surely be confused.

I want to make it so typing in URLs for pages, posts, etc... ANYTHING related to the root blog, will redirect users to home.php, rather than showing empty content or a 404 error. Is there a way to do this?

2. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its possible to do something like this with .htaccess files, but you'll need to be careful with .htaccess because WordPress uses them as well.

Here's an example. I'd recommend doing some google searches to get familiar with .htaccess before you do too much modification.

About this Topic