The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

errors and no redirect (4 posts)

1. bakoo
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have installed wp-mu. All went smooth untill i added a user? The script created the user fine, ie, test.bakoo.net/wordpressmu-1.0-rc3/ but when you go to that URL these is nothing there. Its not redirecting. Another thing is when i go http://www.bakoo.net/wordpressmu-1.0-rc3/ nothing is there either, i have to type, http://bakoo.net/wordpressmu-1.0-rc3/ to get a page? I must have done a step wrong, but i have reinstalled twice and have look all through these forums and have tryed a few thing with .htaccess but none have worked.

I am using Linux server, PHP, MYSQL, Etc, its shared and is Cpanel. I have sub domain usage 1000 i think is the limit, any help appreciated... Thanks

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

First of all, it looks like you need to setup a wildcard DNS entry for your domain. Look at the README.txt for more information about this.

3. bakoo
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know you will say maybe this is above me, and it may well be, but i have no idea what i am doing as regards to the DNS instructions?

It says add the DNS records, well i cant add DNS in CPanel and I the only option my domain provider offers is name server changes...

I am not to sure how this DNS works and i had already looked at the readme, but i have looked over it again and even looked at the external link, which has confused me as it all seems to reference people who have access to root and can get the HTTPD and other files that are blocked from me as i am on shared and cpanel hosting...

Maybe i dont have the features on my hosting to handle MU? Whats needed?

Thanks again for any help...

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The CPanel subdomain limit is for those subdomains actually created by CPanel itself. It's probably set to 999 actually since that's usually the sign of a workaround to a bug that they haven't corrected in some setups. (You can't set it to unlimited.)

It's appears you setup MU in a subdirectory instead of uploading it into root. I had a workaround posted on how to get around that with the annoyance that is called CPanel's File Manager. Let me finish this and I'll go see if I can find it for you. You are going to have to delete your current setup and reinstall though.

You can find instructions on doing the DNS setup here. If you just have a normal shared account, both steps (the wildcard and the ServerAlias) hase to be preformed by your host. (Note, I say host and not domain provider. I'm assuming that your host is providing nameservers for you.) I would email them the request with a link to the formentioned page.

If you don't want to deal with DNS and all that, you're probably better off with just setting it up the blogs as subdirectories.

About this Topic