The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A suggestion.... (10 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I beginning to think that maybe some of us should start volenteering to set up WPMU for folks much like the much discussed (And moaned about) service introduced over in WP.org land recently.

Granted, I also feel that if you can't read a simple error message, do a search for that error message, or edit code to make a fix, then MU is probably not for you. But that's just me. :)

Just a thought. :)

-drmike

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I concur with your thought. :) So, not just you who thinks the exact same things.

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Granted, I also feel that if you can't read a simple error message, do a search for that error message, or edit code to make a fix, then MU is probably not for you. But that's just me.

I feel *exactly* the same way. :)

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The thing is though I don't want to tell folks that MU is not for them. Heck, when I met my ex, she could barely turn on a computer. After 5 years, she was installing software on her own that she had gone out and bought.

It's a learning curve and it just seems like folks don't realize it. Granted, they don't realize it either over on WP.org somedays....

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

well, I thought of that. Then I thought about this. People who install WPMU without knowing what they are doing, aren't just likey to cause trouble for themselves but also for others. For instance, clueless person 1 who installs WPMU and hands out free blogs to persons 2 - 100. What happens when cluess person 1 screws up the database trying to hack WPMU? That's right, persons 2 - 100 are out of luck.

I guess what i'm saying is that it's ok to be clueless and stumble in the dark if it will only affect that one person. But when multiple people are depending upon that clueless person to provide a somewhat reliable service, it's different.

That's just my two cents.

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Someone offer hosted versions of WPMU? No install problems, just point a wildcard dns record at your host. Put adverts in, or charge for it.. nice revenue stream :)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been thinking about it actually. My boxes and support staffing (I outsource my Level 1 and 2 tech support) are pretty much full until January and I get my start up costs paid off.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, with a bit of extra code I think you could modify WPMU so that you would only need one installation. basically, you could just send requests to certain databases depending upon which domain the user is trying to access.

So you would only have one set of files to maintain plus one db per client(I would keep seperate databases in case something goes wrong with one, the others are still intact).

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Kind of like a WPMU-MU? :)

I'd do seperate installs. That way you could keep such things as themes, widgets and plugins seperate.

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

WPMU can almost do many sites on one install but there are a few places where it's not ready. One example is that the main blog is presumed to be blog_id 1 in some functions.
    I'd go for separate installs at this stage just to make thing simple!

About this Topic