The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

main blog theme suggestions? (9 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting a little tired of my main blog's theme at homeschooljournal.net. Tough to widgetize, and now it's getting cramped. I'd like to switch to something "better" but have yet to find something suitable - any suggestions?

I haven't hit the drawing board yet, but I might next week, so even if you just have suggestion of what you'd like to see, or an MU site that does it well, I'm open.

(Heck, maybe I'll just create & release one.)

2. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like fheaven and am going to use that for my university site. It has a nice pencil graphic. You can check it out at http://lursa.blogs.breitenbucher.net/

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, they get the Spam Karma in their footer. Have to see how they do that,

I'm hacking Zen Min for my site. I need to find some free pictures of smiling folks typing away at their laptops or something for along the top though.

Maybe I'll pirate blogger's site later on or something. :)

One thing you can do (which is what I did) is run down the list and see what other folks have done. There's been some nice themes done.

4. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

No they just have a bottombar or something that goes after the
    <?php do_action('wp_footer'); ?> and makes it look like it's in the footer.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Mine run all the way across the bottom. Looks rather poor in my opinion that way.

I had to hardcode the function call for Bad Behaviour into my main blog because that goes to teh bottom left outside of the theme. I might just have to do this with SK2.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Re: running down the list. I must say, the TOS and Legal FAQ at http://blogs.law.harvard.edu makes some interesting and entertaining reading. :D

Also - the SK2 footer is so fugly. I'm thinking of changing the source code so the bg of it is at least transparent.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm just making it not visable by default I think. I don't feel like going back and reediting 30 themes yet again. Did that for the admin bar.

8. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

We actually asked Harvard Law if we could use their TOS and Privacy Policy with appropriate modifications. Institutions have a lot of crap to deal with. If you looked at the site you saw all the legal garbage I put in the footer.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, kahless, I did. :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from andrea_r