The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Signup form confusing re: username and blog name (4 posts)

1. paulaeisenberg
    Posted 14 years ago #

When a user signs up for a new blog, he's asked to choose a user name and enter his email address. Then he chooses Gimme a Blog and goes to the next screen. There, his username is already populating the Blog Domain field. If he doesn't remove it and put in his desired blog name, his domain will be username.bigblog.com, not myblog.bigblog.com.

This seems like a very confusing thing to me and my new users. I don't know how to reword the signup code without breaking something.

Also, when you sign up, you're told there will be another email containing the generated password, but the password appears in the browser, no 2nd email needed. Confusing.

2. techjockey
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

Username is the requirement to login into the website, regardless the user has his blog...

WPMU bydefault ONlY SHOWS the username in the 'Blog Domain:' field.. user can change this SubDomain anytime 'if allowed'.

After SignUp i am sure that there is something went wrong otherwise WPMU doesnt show up the password at this stage...

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Gotta admit I've never seen this issue raised before but I'm game. How would you suggest having it? Honestly asking.

Usually though username is also the subdomain of the blog in question. Some themes (heh I wish all) support the endusers selection of what name they want viewed within their posts so that can be quickly changed.

4. paulaeisenberg
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just want to be able to put in some wording above the Blog Domain field, suggesting the user think about what should go there. And I would like the username to NOT be auto-added to that field.

For instance, a user created his username: dave. He wants his subdomain to be davehicksphotos, and his Blog Title to be Dave Hicks Photos.

I think, in the past, people used blogs to post about personal thoughts, so a username as the subdomain made sense. Not anymore, not if the blog subject matter is more than personal.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by paulaeisenberg
  • Latest reply from paulaeisenberg