The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Parking (3 posts)

1. 3coastmedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am trying to park a domain. I've searched Google and this forum for a solution, and I'm close - but no cigar. I've tried installing the Domain Mapping tool and tried multiple other solutions while working with my hosting company to get this resolved.

The configuration is this:
    a) I have a CNAME (blog.abc.com) record from my DNS to my the URL of the blog I need to park to the domain to (myblog.xyz.com)
    b) xyz.com is an Add-On domain where WPMU is installed through Alias Record from my DNS to my hosting account IP Address

Based on my research, I thought that the Domain Mapping tool would work for this solution, but no such luck. Basically, the domain is pointed properly because it ends up at the WPMU install, but it halts and the signup page and it thinks that blog.abc.com is a new domain - I need it to actually park on top of myblog.xyz.com.

After visiting blog.abc.com, the url looks like this: http://xyz.com/wp-signup.php?new=blog.abc.com

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's your DNS setting, not the plugin. None fo the domain mapping or multi site plugins out there can affect those things, they only handle the domain once it gets to MU.

That being said:
    - step A is wrong.
    - do not edit the DNS to point to the sub-blog, point it to the main WPMU site.

So, you need a CNAME from blog.abc.com to xyz.com.

The blogs are virtual, thus they only exist in the database.

3. 3coastmedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll try tomorrow and re-post my results in case this can help anyone else. Thank you so much for all the support on WPMU and the domain mapping tools. I really appreciate all the support you give on these forums.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by 3coastmedia
  • Latest reply from 3coastmedia