The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How can I put the latest blog posts on the home page? (49 posts)

1. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks. The links now work.

But my site is still a mess. Only one of two test blogs on the system shows up on the homepage:

http://bizpartnerlounge.com

When I go to the test blogs directly I get basically the same homepage with those ugly (blue) linked titles on top:

http://bizpartnerlounge.com/whatever

http://bizpartnerlounge.com/meetup (this is a blog from user admin - are all blogs from the "main user" excluded, not just the main blog?)

The code in my home.php must be wrong...

To recap what I'm trying to do again:

- On the home page I want the latest posts (not just links) from all the blogs on the system (exluding the main blog is fine)
    - On the individual blog home pages I want the latest posts from that blog.

Apart from the structural issues, I really need some way to define the layout for 'Posted to ... by ...' and the 'more' link. Or the plugin should at least predefine it in a more usable way, not make it part of the title.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you put the plugin code in a theme that all other users are using, then it will show up in all blogs.
    If you want all blogs to have the same theme (or be able to sue the same one on the main blog):
    - make a copy of the theme for the main blog Change the directory name and the theme name in the stylesheet.
    - disable that theme
    - enable it just for the main blog.

The home.php is only used if you want a relatively static (ie; no posts) page on the main blog. Most other blog will not want to use it.

3. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r! Unfortunately I won't have time to try this the next couple of days, but I'll report back when I have.

4. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm sorry, but being a former Nucleus user Wordpress MU is still confusing to me.

I now have two themes, one for the main blog (default) and one for the blogs that users create on the system (lounge).

I see you can disable/enable themes at site admin > themes. This is clearly designed for regular Wordpress where you don't have a "main blog" and "member blogs".

* How can I set the theme for the "main blog" (default)?
    * How can I make sure that all the new "member blogs" signed up on the system use the 'lounge' theme, so without having to log in as the member after the blog has been created?

5. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

As far as I know the easiest way to achieve this would be to rename the folder which holds the theme you want for your main blog to 'home' and to rename the folder which holds the theme you want all new blogs to start with to 'default'.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

As XIII said abaove, and also:

- make sure Home is disabled in site admin -> themes. That way users can't choose it.
    - go to site admin -> blogs and click "edit" on your main blog. To the right will be a list of disabled themes. Click the radio button next to "home" (assuming you renamed it). Scroll down, click "update Options".

The disable/enable themes is one of the features that is in MU, not regular WP. Your blog users will only be able to see the list of enabled themes in their backends (when they log into their blogs and see the list under Presentations).

7. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the suggestion XIII. I tried it. The (main blog) home page just seems to ignore the home theme. It uses the default theme.

Following andrea_r's instructions it still didn't work, but it got me in the right direction (thanks!)

It works after I also selected the home theme under admin area > Presentation > Themes

8. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I stil have only one of several blogs on my system showing up on the homepage:

http://bizparterlounge.com

See for example http://bizpartnerlounge.com/moretests. Why don't those posts show up on the home page?

I have trouble testing all this, because the system won't let me log out of 'moretests'...

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

on the main blog, do you want the main blog's posts AND the most recent posts from everyone else to show up, or do you just want everyone else's latest posts on the main blog page?

10. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just want everyone else's latest posts + other content like 'create a new blog' etc. I now basically only have this in home.php:

<?php list_all_wpmu_posts(5, 50, '', '', '<h2>', '</h2>','show','show','show');

The 'Whatever test post' is not from the main blog. 'Whatever' is just one of several blogs on the system.

11. abietto
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Andrea, any progress about those enhancements we were talking about some posts ago? If you find something, maybe you can post a link to the latest version of the plugin? Thank you =)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All-Posts

It's also been discussed in other threads.

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

This one as well. :)

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey guys,

I apologize in advance for posting this across several threads but I don't want anyone to think i'm just ignoring them. I'm going to be on vacation from now through Aug 11th. So if anyone asks a question and I don't reply, please don't think that i'm just avoiding it. I'll try to pop in between now and Aug 5th but after that i'll be without a decent (as in faster than 28K Dialup) internet connection.

When i get back i'm going to update all of the plugins in the List-All series with the requested features as well as upload a few other plugins I have sitting on my hard drive.

I'm hoping that this week and next will be relativly "slow" since Donncha is in SF for WordCamp. However, if anything goes wrong, i'll be checking my email regularly so feel free to email at "andrew (aT} idtstudios.com".

I'm counting on drmike and andrea to hold down the fort while i'm gone ;)

15. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've found the solution to my earlier problem of the missing blogs...

When you sign up for a blog the system asks if you want the blog to be included in search engines (or something like that). I entered 'no' for my test blogs.

That meant the blogs were all set at Public: No (under Site Admin > Blogs > Edit). Apparently blogs have to be set at Public: Yes to show up on the home page.

16. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks modifiedcontent, that would explain why mine also didn't show.

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to clarify for anyone else who might have this problem, the message next to the ticky box says:
    "I would like my blog to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati, and in public listings around this site."

18. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm. Is there a way for a test mode, such that they appear internally, but not on search engines?

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is your site heavily indexed on search engines already? If not, it woudl take a while for any of the testing to show up.

Also, while you're testing just block the google bot in your robots.txt file. I wouldn't wory too much about the technorti one too much.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by modifiedcontent
  • Latest reply from andrea_r