The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Custom CSS just released! (14 posts)

1. Hassan1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi All,

I'm going to release a plugin that I created a year ago. I updated it and added some new features and it works nice now.

-It allows bloggers to edit theme stylesheet (like wpcom custom css paid upgrade)
    -You can enable it for all or specific blogs (i.e. premium blogs)
    -It uses a simple method to strip insecure or invalid CSS codes.

Download it here: WPMU Custom CSS (This address may change later)

I'm going to make more free plugins for WPMU community, so please let me know your needs.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- I'll add it to my list here:
    http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/css-editor-plugins/

- release what you have already, each one is bound to make someone happy. :) I'm in the middle of releasing all kinds of stuff.

3. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Hassan1. Will check it out. And thanks as always Andrea for sharing your WPMU cornucopia with the community.

4. Hassan1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for your interesting,

Well my next plugin may be an avatar/gravatar plugin!

5. MadtownLems
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi - I love the idea, but I'm really curious as to why you are stripping out /* CSS Comments */

Is there a security risk associated here? It would be very helpful to not only allow CSS comments, but modify the default with extra comments that help guide CSS noobs. Thoughts?

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a security risk associated here?

Yes, there is. (Sorry, not posting details to a public forum)

For reference, wp.com strips it out of theirs as well.

7. Hassan1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, as tdjcbe said it's a security risk. That is the different between wpmu custom css and other custom CSS plugins.

Yesterday I found a little bug on it. I forgot "<!--" so it displays a text on the header of blog. If you use it please upgrade!

8. MadtownLems
    Posted 14 years ago #

Re: Security Risk

Is there still a security risk if we allow comments to be saved, but strip them out on actual display? Basically, I want to include comments so I can make a file with things like this:

/* Uncommenting this section will show your visited links in purple */
    /*
    a:visited {color: purple;}
    /*

Would it be safe to strip it out when rendering the text for display anywhere other than the textarea where it gets edited? Thanks!

Also - Hassan, have you considered any kind of role based options with this? We have a MU setup where we'd love to be able to have 3 options for each blog:
    1) no custom css
    2) only site administrator can edit css
    3) site administrator or blog administrator can edit css

(obviously could be expanded for more roles/etc, but i think these basic settings would add a lot of functionality)

thanks again!

- Lems

9. Hassan1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry for delay,

@MadtownLems
    1)I think it's safe. I will consider it for next versions.

2)Currently WPMU Custom CSS supports all 3 options. Site admin can edit all blogs. Premium blogs [or all blogs] can edit, too.

The plugin is compatible with our membership plugin so if you need more rules or an automatic progress you can try it.

Let me know if you find any bug or problem.

Thanks!

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

just for your interest:

it seems automatic has released their plugin too: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/safecss/

11. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Interesting. Looks like it says the css as a post:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/333494

Haven't tried it myself and if it doesn't do it like that, that's fine. Just an interesting method of doing it that I hadn't thought of before.

12. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

it does look interesting. Might play around with it on my WP2.9 install

13. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually I mean "interesting" as it appears to store the data as a post. (Again feel free to correct if that's not correct.) All the other solutions we've found store the css as an options record within the blog table or as an actual written to file within the blog id subdirectory within blogs.dir like how the sitemaps solution works. Ours does the second one although it was originally to do it via the first method.

14. leisegang
    Posted 14 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Hassan1
  • Latest reply from leisegang