The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Where are my subdomain files located?? (6 posts)

1. sertop
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, so everything works good. I have the newest version. What's confusing to me is i am trying to add my side to Google webmaster tools (each one of my 6 sub domains), and cannot locate where my header.php is on the back end for all these subdomains.

I have the fusion theme. I'm very new to wordpress mu, but i remember in wordpress when i had a problem that i couldn't fix manually i would just go on the server and edit the php file direct...but GOD i can't find it for the life of me. I can see the admin-header.php and all those files.

Someone please make me look stupid..ready - GO!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

They are not there. :)

The subdomains are *virtual*, they only live in the database. The theme is just the one copy on the main domain, but used by everyone who has that theme enabled. You make a chance to the theme file, everyone gets it.

Just do the main domain, not the subs.

3. sertop
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r. So in short you are saying i cannot add these sub domains to google webmaster tools and submit a sitemap because i can't edit whats in-between the <head> tags of the subdomains? Is there possibly a plug in?

I recently tried a plug in but i get the "options page not found" error like it's my job.

As you know the only reason i would need to edit the file is to verify that i am the site owner. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference but it would be nice to be able to add each SD into Google Web Master Tools (along with analytics and so on).

Any additional help is greatly appreciated...Thanks!

4. sertop
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyone?

5. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Easier way is to install Donncha's WordPress MU Sitewide Tags Pages and point it to main blog. Then install Google XML Sitemap for main blog and you're set.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

FOr analytics, the code tracking the main site, hooked into the footer of all blogs, will track everything. Even subdomains. you just have to drill down the menus in GA.

About this Topic