The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU or wait for the Merge? (7 posts)

1. fleetadmiralj
    Posted 14 years ago #

Our organization is still in the process of looking into using Wordpress MU to create several blogs, but recently I saw the news about MU and Wordpress merging (I know it's old news, but I had just seen it).

Now, some of you may remember my coming on here and flailing around trying to get MU working on our already existing web server, and failing spectacularly, so here is my question in search of advice:

Should we go ahead and install MU, perhaps even spending money buying hosting from a 3rd party, to set up our blogs, or should I wait for (presumably) 3.0, which may not come out or another 3 or 4 months still, and then hope that when they merge the code, MU will suddenly work on our servers again (installing individual WP blogs works fine on it).

I'm not sure how much they are changing the MU code, and so if many of the things that broke it on our server (one of the first things was redirecting from www to no www, for example) would still be apart of the MU part of the new product, or if perhaps things that made MU not play nice with some servers might be eliminated.

I'm not really sure if anyone in here can help me on this, but if they fix MU and we could host it on our own server again, we might have to wait, but that's potentially several hundred dollars we won't have to spend on other hosting as well...

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hiya,

There's no need to wait :)

When the merge happens existing sites will be able to upgrade to 3.0 just like any other new version.

Thanks,
    Andrew

3. fleetadmiralj
    Posted 14 years ago #

well, yeah, I understand that, but the problem is if we install now, we'll probably pay for a hosted solution with a 3rd party, but if we wait...and it works on our own server (which I could never get it to do before), then we'll just host it there and save us the money.

But if I shouldn't have any expectation that the "merged" MU might work better than the current MU, then there is no reason to hold off.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can you afford to wait though?

Also when the devs go through the code for the merge, they will be ironing out any lingering issues. The no-www issue, for example will definitely be fixed.

5. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrewbillits - That had been stated publicly several times over the months prior to this post:

http://wpmu.org/merging-or-discontinuing-the-future-of-wordpress-mu/

6. vested1
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK - I just read wpmuguru's lnk and I am still confused... does this mean for those of us that went out and purchased MU templates and the like have actually purchased something that has no future?

Will the merged WordPress allow for the creation of multiple blogs such as http: //foo.com/usersblogs etc?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"does this mean for those of us that went out and purchased MU templates and the like have actually purchased something that has no future?"

No, wpmuguru was explaining that posts like that link only confused people. Forget that you read it, it was linkbait.

AGAIN, after the merge, anyone who is on MU will upgrade fine and stuff shoudl work generally fine. Everyone on single WP will be able to enable multiple blogs.

Read this: http://wpmututorials.com/news/merge-news-and-buddypress-awesomeness/

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by fleetadmiralj
  • Latest reply from andrea_r