The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress Database (6 posts)

1. jittujacob
    Posted 14 years ago #

One thing i got confused with Worpress MU is its database design.

8 tables are dynamically generating for each blogs.the tables are

1. wp_1_comments
    2. wp_1_links
    3. wp_1_options
    4. wp_1_postmeta
    5. wp_1_posts
    6. wp_1_term_relationships
    7. wp_1_term_taxonomy
    8. wp_1_terms

These tables hold values for each blog's comments & posts.Anyone know why like that?

I think this can be managed with less tables right?If there are 50000 blogs..just imagine.I think worpress have some reason for this.

Anyone knows why the database design is like this?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes it could be done with less tables if you were starting from scratch.

Don't forget that WPMU is an extended version of WP. So what it basically does is simply change the table prefix depending on which blog you're using and then calls the existing WP functions. That way you don't need to recode all the WP functions.

If you were starting from scratch you'd do it with single tables with a blog_id column and restrict on the blog_id within your queries. But they didn't so they dont!

3. vested1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Multiple MU installations - would using multiple instances of MySQL be more efficient?

Right now my database isn't that large however, it is at approx. 1/8 my physical memory of my server (2gigs) and quite frankly it is sluggish, nothing terrible but I can see the difference the two larger installations vs the third installation.... the third having only 127 posts moves between pages and back to home page quickly.. the other 2 have quite a few more posts and moves around ok but back to the home page seems a bit slow....

So I guess what I am asking is, would it be more efficient to split that database up between two instances of MySQL one on 3306 and another on 3307 or wouldn't it make much difference?

How much memory are most of you folks configured for and how much do your servers consume? I also use ZEND CE Server... thanks

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you tuned your SQL instance?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, I don't see that as a db issue, more a server setup issue.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually, reading your other posts, I'm more convinced it's your server setup.

"the other 2 have quite a few more posts and moves around ok but back to the home page seems a bit slow...."

Could be a plugin.

also, what's your traffic like? I talked to someone who had ten blogs in one MU install and 1 gig of RAM. The site went down whenever the Yankees played because it was a yankees blog and they literally had 50,000 people visit at once.

So. It depends.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jittujacob
  • Latest reply from andrea_r