The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

transfer WPmu blogs from subdir to subdomain in new host (4 posts)

1. greenrambutan
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is not the typical subdir to subdomain question, though all my searches ultimately lead to that.

First, I am total novice at this and learning through lots of stupid mistakes, so please excuse if I ask stupid questions or asking repeat stuff simply because I know not enough to phrase questions correctly.

My problem:

When installing WPmu, the recommended setting is: subdomain. For that, I read that I need to access the dns records to create wildcard dns (I cannot access that). Alternatively, I read that with x3 cpanel, all I need to do is create a *.mydomain.com subdomain (did not work - get to this later).

Given that my host may not support tampering with dns records, I might be left considering using the un-recommended alternative, which is subdirectory. Now, my question is: if I set up a WPmu using subdirectory, then, when my current hosting expires and I move to another host that allows dns-tinkering (therefore subdomain possible), can I easily port *current* subdirectory blogs on host-x over to *future* subdomain blogs on host-y? Has anyone done it before?

I know the alternative is to change host now, but sadly I have signed up for 3 years (cheaper) so I am stuck here for a while yet.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Another issue I ran into was that for some strange reason, I can no longer access site admin even when I login as site admin - with my privileges set to subsriber after I created two or three test users. Is there another way round it? so far what I did was delete and clean reinstall with new db - which is OK while still testing, but after that?

Thanks again

2. webhostuk
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can surely install WP on main directory its not necessary you do it on subdomain.

Regarding wildcard DNS entry yes it needs to be done by your webhosting company its just few secs work..I dont feel they should mind to do such small job for you.

We every help our customers with WP installation as per there requirement.

All the best.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"if I set up a WPmu using subdirectory, then, when my current hosting expires and I move to another host that allows dns-tinkering (therefore subdomain possible), can I easily port *current* subdirectory blogs on host-x over to *future* subdomain blogs on host-y? Has anyone done it before?"

Not easily, no. I have done it before though, but if you have more than a handful of users, then going through the entire database changing their blog address and changing the urls to all the file uploads is a job.

"I can no longer access site admin even when I login as site admin - with my privileges set to subsriber after I created two or three test users. Is there another way round it?"

I think that might be a recent bug.

4. greenrambutan
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks very much for the answers - it helps with the decision making.

Webhostuk: Beyond the sad fact that my green-ness means that I will always feel safer taking the recommended route, there is also what I call a 'vanity' factor - subdomains looks 'neater' than subdirectory. As for the 'host'... *grimace*.

andrea_r: "not easily" makes the decision for me. Thanks very much. As for the 'recent bug', guess I would have to try searching under 'site admin login'.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by greenrambutan
  • Latest reply from greenrambutan