The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU + SimplePress user database question (3 posts)

1. illwill79
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello all

I am using wordpress MU 2.8.6, the latest Buddypress, as well as Simple Press Forums. I ran into an issue where registered users that created a 'blog' would not be able to access the forums as they became a guest (no role on main blog).

I researched and found the following plugin:

<?php function ds_new_user_meta($blog_id, $user_id) {
    add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber');
    }
    add_action( 'wpmu_new_blog', 'ds_new_user_meta', 10, 2 );?>

Well, this plugin actually gets a few things right. It makes user a member of blog id 1 again as subscriber after they create an account. I check WPMU and it indeed shows the user as a subscriber for the home blog as well as author for their blog. I have them go to forums where they are logged in (so far so good), but they aren't treated as a member. Instead they are treated as guest and can only read.

I checked the simple press options and made sure that 'subscriber' status on the main blog was tied to 'standard permissions' on simple press. I am wondering if the script I am using above is not quite cutting it in regards to what I'm trying to do...

Put simply: When user registers, whether they create own blog or not, they stay with main blog (subscriber) and also obtain member status on simple press to be able to post.

My site is at http://up-your-game.com/wordpress-mu

2. agreda
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just compared your code to what we're using successfully and it's identical. Perhaps a silly question, but since you referred to this only as a "plugin" I gotta ask ... you have this in the /wp-content/mu-plugins folder, right?

With this code in place as an mu-plugin, we have all new users becoming forum members upon sign-up, whether or not they create a blog. We do not run BuddyPress, however.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

buddypress has its own forums - it bundles in a version of bbpress. Why not use that?

I woudl think trying to toss in simplepress with it woudl confuse the hell out of it.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by illwill79
  • Latest reply from andrea_r