The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Default User Role (10 posts)

1. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey all,
    I pushed out a beta of a new plugin. It needs testing and a better name. It's currently called WPMU Default User Role. Kgraeme thinks it should be something about blogs, not users. Basically, it lets site admins decide which extra blogs users should be assigned to when they sign up, and with what role.

I have one specific question. Currently, I'm not allowing the plugin to override the dashboard blog role. The argument for that is that there's built-in functionality there. The argument against is that when a new user signs up with a blog, too, they don't get assigned to the dashboard blog in any capacity. The blog they create is their "dashboard" blog.

What say you - which way should it go? The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards letting site admins assign roles to the dashboard blog, as well - and just having a disclaimer that it overrides the setting made at site admin -> options.

Thoughts?

And, ideas for a better name?

Maybe WPMU Blog User Assignments? I dunno. I'm not liking anything.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Probably would help to give a link, eh?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-default-user-role/

3. ancawonka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi DeannaS,

I would prefer that the plugin allow assignment for the Dashboard blog as well. In my situation, I'm creating an intranet using WPMU as a way to organize each of the sections. Users get added and are able to edit in multiple site areas, including the Dashboard blog.

That's just my 2 cents.

4. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Very cool, I can remove some hacked together code I was using to add new users to a support subdomain now.

5. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

I still say the name should be WPMU Mandatory Blogs For All New Users Plugin Of Doom!.

Though I could convinced of Heuristic Paradigm For Vertically Integrated User Blog Provisioning System Plugin of Doom!.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmmm, well depending on the target audience, I'd totally go with the second name for corporate use.

7. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, for corporate use it would be Heuristic Paradigm for Vertically Integrated Stakeholders Plugin of Ennui.

8. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

*sigh* You guys. Sometimes I think I need to get all mom on you. ;P

Okay, I updated the code to allow the dashboard blog to be overridden by the plugin. Give it a minute for the repository to catch up. But, version 1.0 of the code should let you override the dashboard blog.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I can't be the responsible one *all* the time now, can I? :D I get enough mom-ness offline.

I'm also looking for an excuse to try this out.

10. outspaced
    Posted 14 years ago #

[deleted]

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by DeannaS
  • Latest reply from outspaced