The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Need Setup Help: WordPress MU for multiple domains (5 posts)

1. markwelch
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd like to set up WordPress MU for multiple domains. I need help, and I'm going to try to be very, very specific in describing the help I believe I need. Maybe I can't get it (or perhaps I won't be able to afford it), but I'd like to start with my "ideal."

I need clear, detailed instructions describing the entire process for installing WordPress MU for multiple domains. The instructions must be very, very clear without assuming ANY specific knowledge or experience (of WordPress, the hosting environment, or Linux).

I've already found lots of "reasonably well-written" explanations, all of which assume far more knowledge and skill than I have. (I'm new to WordPress, and I would prefer not to start this experience by spending 20 or 50 hours struggling with the basic installation and configuration. I'm really just trusting people who have assured me that this is the right solution, after I struggled for many, many hours with Joomla.)

Probably much more important: recently, I find that I forget this type of information very, very quickly; it just doesn't stick. (On other technical projects, I've tried hiring people to do work, while taking detailed notes about what they're doing so I can replicate it, but this just hasn't worked.)

[b]Let's just assume that I have NO skills[/b] or experience installing stuff on Linux servers, with WordPress, or with the specific hosting environment.

Currently, I have two "unlimited-domain" hosting accounts (an eApps VPS account and a $15 HostGator account). If necessary, I can move somewhere else.

In your reply (to markwelch at markwelch dot com), please indicate what you'd charge, along with links: (1) to a multiple-domain WordPress MU installation you've configured; AND (2) to documentation that you've written.

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You install MU first, like normal.

The rest is server tech. The short overview is that the extra domains need to be "parked" or caught by the server, and sent to the MU install, which ten looks them up in the database.

(I have ADD, sometimes I forget stuff too. understanding things from a large global overview helps.)

If you have really good access to the server, like the vps at eapps, you can edit the Apache config file so you don't have to list all the domains, and the "unlimited domains" part because irrelevant.

Did any of the documentation you've read so far have my name on it? :)

3. hydroweb
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have 2 domains, x.com and y.com. I would like a blog on each domain.

I want the x.com audience to see a blog for x.com, and ONLY a blog for x.com. I want the y.com folks to see a blog for y.com, and ONLY a blog for y.com. I can do this if each domain has its own wp blog.

Is this possible with wpmu?

Thanks, Roger

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

5. hydroweb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you, Andrea!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by markwelch
  • Latest reply from hydroweb