The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Lots of questions before installing WordPress MU (1 post)

1. yagraph
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all, and thanks for reading !
    First, I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive me my mistakes...

I'm searching for a multi-blog solution for a client since a few weeks, and it seems to me that WPMU is the good choice for the situation. It will be used by around 100 users at a maximum, starting now with about 20.
    But before to put it in a production website, I have to solve theses questions, in order not to break everything...
    I've searched for answers with my search engine, but I need to be fixed, and that's why I am posting here.

Here is the actual state of the domain, on a shared hosting server :
    - a production website made with Joomla!, which is in a subfolder /joomla/ and an index.php file in / which permanently redirect to it.
    - an in dev collaborative web tool (OpenGoo), installed in a subfolder /opengoo/, and a working subdomain (opengoo.domain.com) on it.

What should be done :
    - install Wordpress MU at root (/), because it will need to manage subdomains (blog.domain.com).
    - still use the Joomla! website until the WPMU website is fully ready (using .htaccess or an php file, or an earlier Apache redirect to Joomla! ?)
    - keep a working access to Opengoo and its subdomain (opengoo.domain.com). It mean that this sub-domain will not be a WPMU one. Will WPMU be tolerant to that ?

I know that "sky is the limit" but I'm unsure about how to configure all this (specially the Apache and the DNS) and get it working. How to do that ?
    If I'm right, installing WPMU as is on the root folder will break access to Joomla! and OpenGoo. It's not a big deal for a few hours, but I have to be sure that I can manage it quite quickly.

other question :
    Is WPMU the good choice, or should I choose something simpler to install but less powerful like dotclear, or different like LifeType ?

Last question, but not least, should I wait for Wordpress 3 and the Wordpress-Wordpress MU merge ? I can wait for two months, but maybe not much (the client is waiting).

Many thanks,
    yagraph

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by yagraph