The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Changed category name but URL still uses original slug (3 posts)

1. Ahjira
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, I'm curious to know what's up with this situation. I have a new installation of WPMU 2.8.6 (with BuddyPress) and I'm setting up my main blog. I changed the category "uncategorized" to "announcements" but the URL when displaying that archive still reads /uncategorized/.

I tested this with other categories, first making them, then changing their names. The same problem occurs.

I searched the Trac system to see if this had been reported and I found this ticket describing the exact problem:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/476

This ticket however, claims that the issue was fixed two years ago :-/

Can anyone provide more info about this?

2. Ahjira
    Posted 14 years ago #

Interesting... I should add that if you change the category name a third time, it then adopts the URL of the second name.

For example if the original category is "uncategorized" and you change to "news", the URL still uses /uncategorized/

If you then change the name from "news" to "announcements", the URL then becomes /news/

Seems it's always one slug behind.

3. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

Create a new category called announcements and then move your posts to that category and take off the uncategorized. In MU you can't change the category slug once the category is created.

About this Topic