The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Getting "too many redirects detected" error when copying mu to new directory (4 posts)

1. nylonlover
    Posted 14 years ago #

copied the entire mu installation do a new directory and created a subdomain.
    Copied the mu database for this copied sited.
    Changed wp-config.php accordingly.

Now getting:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

And in google chrome:
    The webpage at http://dev.mywebsite.com/wp-signup.php?new=dev.mywebsite.com has resulted in too many redirects.

When I put up a test file in the new directory it comes right up, but not wordpress.

What could be going on?

I'm pulling my hair out and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you change the URLS inside the database?

3. nylonlover
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes. But being WPMU, it's not one single options table. In the wp-config, I saw the following:

define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

So I figure the main options table is wp_1_options. I went into the wp_1_options table, went through all the entries and changed the urls.

Also, in the wp-config.php, I changed this

define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'dev.mywebsite.com' ); instead of mywebsite.com but left the path and base as / because I assume that these are relative to the directory it's in.

Do I have to change the urls inside all the wp_x_options table, for each blog installation?

Oh, I'm also using the Thesis 1.6 theme. I know that theme can be complex, so I wonder if it could be causing the issues?
    Thanks for your help!

4. marywald
    Posted 14 years ago #

I initially installed wpmu in a subdirectory and moved it to root when it was ready to go. I had the same problem, even after correcting the options table.

I exported the entire database, brought it into textedit and found every instance of the subidrectory and corrected them. There were more than 500 instances. I reimported the db and all was fine.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nylonlover
  • Latest reply from marywald