The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

current user wants to register on another user's blog (9 posts)

1. janzalone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Here is my setup:

Latest version of WPMU installed
    Teachers and students at my school all have a user account with a blog.

issue:
    One teacher has a blog for each class and wants each student to be an author on the blog that corresponds to the class they attend. Instead of the teacher adding each of their 150 students to the correct blog, we want the student to be able to register themselves as an author on the teacher's class blog (MAJOR time saver)...I added the 1267014645_mp-blog-register.php plugin thinking that it would let people register, but when a student is logged into their own blog account, the meta links only offer site admin, which of course takes them to a page that they don't have access too (the teacher's blog dashboard).

I have searched google, these forums, and the plugin area for something that will work, but am totally stuck. Any ideas for something that will allow a user to request access to another blog within our blog network???

Thanks in advance!

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Bulk Import Users with Default User Role may be what you need.

3. janzalone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Bulk Import Users with Default User Role may be what you need.

will test it out tonight....thank you!

4. janzalone
    Posted 14 years ago #

so I played around with the two plugins that mercime suggested, but it appears that they work when dealing with new users. I am looking for something the user can do themselves to be added as a user on another user's blog. I am trying to avoid having to handle this as an admin on the back end...I probably didn't explain what I want to do well...let's try again:

All students at my school (1200) and teachers (50) have created blog accounts on the site. The teachers have created classroom blogs using their usernames.

Teacher A has a history blog for each of her 6 periods (history1, history2, history3, etc). She wants all student in period 1 registered on her history1 blog with the role of author, all period 2 students registered on the history2 blog as authors, etc.

If a student goes to the history blog that matches their period, and are logged into their own account, they don't get the register option under META - because they are already logged in - they only get the site admin option which gets them nowhere because they have no rights to the blog.

What I want:
    The kid to log into their account, go to their teacher's blog, have a spot to register for the blog and choose their role (needing teacher approval is okay).

What I don't want:
    The teacher (or me) to have to manually add the students to the blog as authors (we are talking over 200 kids)...the teacher won't do it if that much work is involved.

the blog import users looks like it would work if the kids didn't already have accounts, but they do. (even if i did it initially, what happens when another teacher creates blogs and wants a kid who is registered on a history blog to be registered on their science blog...)

Thank you for any help you can give me!

5. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh yah, I see what you're saying. I hacked the subscribe2 plugin to do something like that.

Basically, what you need to do is write a widget that gives people a "subscribe" button that then runs a script to add a user to the blog.

I don't know of anything out there that does it out of the box. You'll need to write this one.

6. janzalone
    Posted 14 years ago #

oh good lord........I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess I will just wait until a genius needs the same thing and writes the widget!!

@DeannaS thanks for the response, I was starting to think I was asking about something off the wall.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

huh. I thought there was a plugin/widget out there that did this? One from dsader?

8. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

UBC has done current work on an add user widget:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-users-sidebar-widget/

9. janzalone
    Posted 14 years ago #

HALLELUJAH!! I am doing a little jig over here! That was exactly what I needed! Thank you all so much!

Works Perfectly...

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by janzalone
  • Latest reply from janzalone